Barnehurst Road, DA7
Road in/near Barnehurst, existing between the 1850s and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Barnehurst Road was previously called Hills and Holes Road.
The road may date from the 1850s or before as a lane through Conduit Wood.
It was the 1926 electrification of the Bexleyheath line that signalled the start of the large interwar housing developments.
The first builder in the area was J.W. Ellingham and who chose the site next to the station on which to build the ’Barnehurst Estate’. This consisted of 578 semi-detached houses which sold for £600 each with building starting along Barnehurst Road in 1926.
The Midfield shopping parade of shops was finished in 1928. The Barnehurst Estate was completed in the early 1930s.
Risedale Road, DA7 Risedale Road was one of a series of ’Lake District’ roads build in 1929.
The name of Barnehurst is derived from the name of the landowner family and the Saxon word for woodland: ’hurst’.
In 1745, Miles Barne the son of a wealthy London merchant married Elizabeth Elwick the heiress to May Place and inherited the estate in 1750. The family owned May Place until 1938 when it was sold to the local council.
The name Barnehurst came into being once a station had been proposed in Conduit Wood for the Bexley Heath Railway Company on their 1895 railway. It crossed the May Place Estate, then owned by Colonel Frederick Barne. At that time the area now known as Barnehurst was part of the Parish of Crayford, consisting of a mix of farmland and market gardens, with cherry, apple and plum orchards, with wood and parkland belonging to the estates of May Place, Martens Grove and Oakwood. The small population was concentrated along and to the south of Mayplace Road.
At first, the railway failed to attract large scale house developers - passenger numbers were small only boosted at weekends by golfers travelling to the new Barnehurst Golf Course opened in 1903. Its club house the old mansion of May Place was destroyed by fire in 1959. The electrification of the Bexleyheath Line in 1926 signalled the start of the large housing developments of the 1920s and 1930s.