Church Manorway, DA17

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.49276 0.16745) 

Church Manorway, DA17

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Erith · DA8 ·
November
30
2017

Church Manorway is a road in the DA17 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Ashburnham Road, DA17 Ashburnham Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
B5 Oyo Business Units, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Battle Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Beltwood Road, DA17 Beltwood Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Bronze Age Way, DA17 Bronze Age Way is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Bullbanks Road, DA17 Bullbanks Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Cables Close, DA8 Cables Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Church Manorway, DA8 Church Manorway is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Crabtree Manorway S, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Crabtree Manorway South, DA17 Crabtree Manorway South is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Culling Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Dentons Wharf, DA8 Dentons Wharf is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Gyproc Business Park, DA8 Gyproc Business Park is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Keats Road, DA17 Keats Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Mayfield Road, DA17 Mayfield Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Mitchell Close, DA17 Mitchell Close is a road in the DA17 postcode area
St. Thomas Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Street Thomas Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Unit B4 Oyo Business Centre, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Viking Way, DA8 Viking Way is a road in the DA8 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Erith High Street, DA8
TUM image id: 1466529309
Halt in Robin Road, Belvedere (1910)
TUM image id: 1556888544
Bexley Road, Belvedere, c. 1900
TUM image id: 1557144405
Brook Street, Belvedere, c. 1900
TUM image id: 1557162833
Print-friendly version of this page