Barnehurst Avenue, DA7

Road in/near Crayford, existing between the 1930s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.46687 0.16494) 

Barnehurst Avenue, DA7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · * · DA7 ·
MAY
31
2019

Barnehurst Avenue runs north from Merewood Road up to the Erith Road.

By 1932 development had started on the ’Mayplace Estate’ which was built by developers W.H. Wedlock Ltd. on fairly difficult terrain for building. The estate was laid out between Erith Road and Barnehurst Avenue and roads took names associated with the Lake District.

A new pub called ’The Red Barn’ was built in 1936 by Arnolds of Chelmsford.

To the east of Barnehurst Avenue, New Ideal Homesteads Ltd began their ’Barnehurst Park Estate’.


Main source: Ideal Homes
Further citations and sources




NEARBY STREETS
Alberta Road, DA8 Alberta Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Appledore Avenue, DA7 Appledore Avenue was built as part of the ’Barnehurst Park Estate’ of New Ideal Homesteads Ltd.
Appleton Close, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Barnehurst Avenue, DA8 Barnehurst Avenue is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Barnehurst Close, DA8 Barnehurst Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Beechcroft Avenue, DA7 Beechcroft Avenue is one of a series of north-south roads named alphabetically.
Beverley Road, DA7 Beverley Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Castleton Avenue, DA7 Castleton Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Colyers Lane Primary School, DA7 Colyers Lane Primary School is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Coniston Close, DA7 Coniston Close is a small cul-de-sac lying off of Coniston Road.
Coniston Road, DA7 Coniston Road was laid out by the W H Wedlock company in 1932.
Courtleet Drive, DA8 Courtleet Drive is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Doris Avenue, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Downbank Avenue, DA7 Downbank Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
East Holme, DA8 East Holme is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Edendale Road, DA7 Edendale Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Edendale Road, DA8 Edendale Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Erith Road, DA8 Erith Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Fairford Avenue, DA7 Fairford Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
FP 231, DA7 FP 231 is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Grasmere Road, DA7 Grasmere Road runs from Erith Road to Merewood Road.
Heath Way, DA8 Heath Way is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Heathway, DA8 Heathway is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Hilary Close, DA8 Hilary Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Homer Close, DA7 Homer Close is a road lying off of Grasmere Road.
Hornbeam Lane, DA7 Hornbeam Lane provides access to the car park of Barnehurst station.
Lingwood, DA7 Lingwood is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Merewood Road, DA7 Merewood Road runs east from Erith Road.
Northall Road, DA7 Northall Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Northumberland Way, DA8 Northumberland Way is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Old Manor Way, DA7 Old Manor Way is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Parkside Cross, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Peartree Close, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Taunton Close, DA7 Taunton Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Thirlmere Road, DA7 Thirlmere Road runs between Coniston Road and Grasmere Road.
Three Corners, DA7 Three Corners is a road in the DA7 postcode area
west Holme, DA8 west Holme is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Windermere Road, DA7 Windermere Road is named for the largest lake in England.


Crayford

Crayford was combined with other local areas to form the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.


Crayford has a long and interesting history. The area was first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle (c.891 - 924), which states that the Britons fought the Jutes at the Battle of Creganford in 457. The Domesday Book (1086) records that in Crayford "there is a church", implying that there was a well established settlement in the area by that time. The Norman Church of St Paulinus, which still stands on top of Crayford Hill overlooking the town, was built in 1100.

The original stimulus for settlement in the area was the fact that the River Cray could be forded at this point - and "Cray-ford" became the settlement’s name.

Crayford Manor House stands just to the north-west of St Paulinus Church, probably in roughly the same position as the first manor house, which was established in the 14th century. Crayford actually contained two manors, those of Howbury and Newbury.

Several large houses once stood in the area, including Oakwood, Shenstone and May Place. Little evidence remains of these, although part of the last house called May Place is now incorporated into the clubhouse of Barnehurst Golf Course.

The house was for many years the seat of the lord of the manor and between 1694 and 1707 was the home of Sir Cloudesley Shovell (1650 - 1707), Commander in Chief of the Navy who took part in the capture of Gibraltar in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. Three years later, after his ship the Association was wrecked off the Isles of Scilly, he was strangled for the rings he wore, by a fisherwoman.

The presence of the river in the town led to the growth of industries such as tanning and silk-making, which need a constant supply of free-flowing fresh water. The tannery has long since gone, but the silk-printing works of David Evans Ltd, established in 1843, remain in the town. Swaislands was another long-established local printing firm. It was taken over by GP & J Baker who closed the works only in 1961.

In the early years of the 19th century the huge armaments firm Vickers, originally from Sheffield, moved into the area. In the few short years of the First World War Vickers’ workforce grew from 300 to 14,000. Vickers built an estate, the Crayford Garden Suburb, to the east of the town to house the armaments workers. Whilst all that remains of the Vickers factory today is the clocktower, surrounded by modern retail development, the houses are still very much in evidence and are sought after as homes because of the quality of construction. This area, which borders on Dartford and the County of Kent, became known as Barnes Cray after a prominent local family (the Barnes).

Other industries in the area included barge building in Crayford Creek, brickmaking and motor-car production by the Siddeley Autocar Company, which had its registered works at Crayford in 1902.

After the First World War the production of armaments was reduced, but industry continued to thrive and the local community prospered on the trade brought to the area as a result of the influx of workers during the war. The Princesses Theatre, opened in 1916 on the riverside, was built specifically to entertain these workers but unfortunately burnt to the ground within six months. It was subsequently rebuilt to exactly the same specifications but presumably with improved fire-protection measures!

In 1920 Crayford became an urban district. As in most other local areas, the 1930s saw a period of busy housebuilding, although this was perhaps not as extensive in Crayford as it was elsewhere. Houses were built mostly by local builders such as New Ideal Homesteads and W.H. Wedlock.

The population in the urban district almost doubled in the 20 years to 1951, from 15,896 in 1931 to 27,950 in 1951.

Housebuilding was interrupted by the Second World War, which affected Crayford badly because the presence of the Royal Arsenal nearby (see Thamesmead) and of the armaments works in the town made Crayford an obvious target for enemy bombers.

The town of Crayford today revolves around the retail trade, and has a large Sainsbury’s hypermarket at its centre. It is home to a substantial commuter population, who travel to London and nearby business and retail centres such as Bexleyheath and the newly opened Bluewater shopping park near Dartford.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Erith High Street, DA8
TUM image id: 1466529309
Bexley Road, Belvedere, c. 1900
TUM image id: 1557144405
Trolley bus (1935)
TUM image id: 1557150459
Martens Avenue, Barnehurst (1934)
TUM image id: 1557161730
Mayplace Road East (1900)
TUM image id: 1574088030
Print-friendly version of this page