Addison Industrial Estate 702b, HA4

Road in/near Eastcote

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.56114 -0.38129, 51.561 -0.381) 

Addison Industrial Estate 702b, HA4

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Eastcote · HA4 ·
December
7
2020

Addison Industrial Estate 702b lies within the HA4 postcode.




NEARBY STREETS
Brackenbridge Drive, HA4 Brackenbridge Drive is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Brackenhill, HA4 Brackenhill is a road in the HA4 postcode area
Brookside Close, HA2 A street within the HA2 postcode
Deane Park, HA4 Deane Park is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Diamond Road, HA4 Diamond Road is a road in the HA4 postcode area
Holyrood Avenue, HA4 Holyrood Avenue is a road in the HA2 postcode area
Ivy Close, HA2 Ivy Close is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Jubilee Drive, HA4 Jubilee Drive is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Kenilworth Avenue, HA2 Kenilworth Avenue is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Leamington Cres, HA2 Leamington Cres lies within the HA2 postcode.
Leamington Crescent, HA2 Leamington Crescent is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Lynwood Close, HA2 Lynwood Close is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Mirren Close, HA2 Mirren Close is a road in the HA2 postcode area
Monks Close, HA4 Monks Close is a road in the HA4 postcode area
Paddock Road, HA4 Paddock Road is a road in the HA4 postcode area
Palace Road, HA4 Palace Road is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Primrose Close, HA2 Primrose Close is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Princes Way, HA4 Princes Way is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Queensmead, HA4 Queensmead is a road in the KT22 postcode area
Rosebery Avenue, HA2 Rosebery Avenue is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Royal Crescent, HA4 Royal Crescent is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Stradbrook Close, HA2 A street within the HA2 postcode
Stuart Avenue, HA2 Stuart Avenue is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Thistledene Avenue, HA2 Thistledene Avenue is a road in the HA2 postcode area
Veldene Way, HA2 Veldene Way is a road in the HA2 postcode area
Walton Avenue, HA2 Walton Avenue is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Warwick Avenue, HA2 Warwick Avenue is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
White Butts Road, HA4 White Butts Road is a road in the HA4 postcode area
Whitebutts Road, HA4 Whitebutts Road lies within the HA4 postcode.


Eastcote

Eastcote was originally ’Ascot’, one of the three medieval tithings of the parish of Ruislip - along with Westcot and Norwood.

The Hawtrey family moved to Eastcote around 1525 when Ralph Hawtrey married Winifred Walleston and the couple moved into Eastcote House. Their only daughter became Lady Mary Bankes when she married Sir John Bankes, Chief Justice to Charles I. As a Royalist at the time of the English Civil War, she defended their home in Dorset against the Roundheads in 1643. Lady Bankes had also lived in Eastcote at Haydon Hall and her name is remembered by a school in Northwood Hills.

Highgrove House was rebuilt in 1879 after being destroyed by fire. Winston Churchill stayed there during his honeymoon and the Queen of Sweden was resident during the First World War.

Eastcote station was originally built as a halt in 1906. At the turn of the 20th century, the recorded population was only around 600 people. This had reached over 12 000, one hundred years later.

The arrival of the railway brought a substantial number of visitors seeking a day out in the countryside. The tea garden of the Old Barn House became popular, as were cottages including The Rosery and Orchard Farm which served refreshments. In 1914, the Cavendish Pavilion was built as a private sports ground.

In 1930, developers Comben & Wakeling purchased the Hawtrey family land, including Eastcote House and its grounds, and built the new Eastcote Park Estate. The estate - comprising Pamela Gardens, St Lawrence Drive, Rodney Gardens, Burwood Avenue and The Glen - would have necessitated the demolition of Eastcote House until this was purchased by the Ruislip-Northwood Urban District Council in 1937 for public use. In 1964, Eastcote House was demolished after it was declared structurally unsafe though its grounds including the walled garden, coach house and dovecote were retained for public use.

Haydon Hall was also purchased by the council in 1936 after the death of its owner, Mrs Bennett-Edwards. Haydon Hall also fell into a state of disrepair and was demolished in 1967.

The railway halt was rebuilt as a station in 1939.

The British government built a military hospital on land near Highgrove House during the war. Bletchley Park also established an outpost in surplus buildings on the site, which became known to staff as HMS Pembroke V. A total of 100 Bombe codebreaker machines were used to decode German Enigma messages. Operations continued on the site, including the use of two Colossus codebreaking machines. GCHQ moved to a new purpose-built site in Cheltenham in 1954.

In 1952, a number of new houses were built by Wimpeys Ltd in Newnham Avenue for the Ruislip-Northwood Urban District Council.

The RAF Eastcote site was sold for development to Taylor Wimpey in 2007. 385 new homes were built on the renamed Pembroke Park.


LOCAL PHOTOS

Print-friendly version of this page