Manor Way, DA7

Road in/near Barnehurst

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.46129 0.16643) 

Manor Way, DA7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Barnehurst · DA7 ·
November
30
2017

Manor Way is a road in the DA7 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Barnehurst Road, DA7 Barnehurst Road was previously called Hills and Holes Road.
Beverley Road, DA7 Beverley Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Eastleigh Road, DA7 Eastleigh Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Eversley Avenue, DA7 Eversley Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Hillingdon Road, DA7 Hillingdon Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Holly Gardens, DA7 Holly Gardens is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Hornbeam Lane, DA7 Hornbeam Lane provides access to the car park of Barnehurst station.
Inglewood Road, DA7 Inglewood Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Mayplace Road East, DA1 Mayplace Road East runs west-east through the DA1 and DA7 postcodes.
Mayplace Road East, DA7 Mayplace Road East was an old lane leading east from Barnehurst.
Midfield Avenue, DA7 Midfield Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Midfield Parade, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Northall Road, DA7 Northall Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Oakwood Drive, DA7 Oakwood Drive was formed as part of the ’Mayplace Farm’ estate built by W H Wedlock Ltd.
Old Barn Way, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Old Manor Way, DA7 Old Manor Way is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Parkside Avenue, DA7 Parkside Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Parkside Cross, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Randolph Close, DA7 Randolph Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Stephen Road, DA7 Stephen Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Taunton Close, DA7 Taunton Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Westfield Road, DA7 Westfield Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Woodside Close, DA1 Woodside Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Woodside Close, DA7 Woodside Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Mayplace Road East (1900)
TUM image id: 1574088030
Print-friendly version of this page