Taunton Close, DA7

Road in/near Barnehurst

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.46297 0.17067) 

Taunton Close, DA7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Barnehurst · DA7 ·
November
30
2017

Taunton Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Barnehurst Avenue, DA7 Barnehurst Avenue runs north from Merewood Road up to the Erith Road.
Beechcroft Avenue, DA7 Beechcroft Avenue is one of a series of north-south roads named alphabetically.
Beverley Road, DA7 Beverley Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Castleton Avenue, DA7 Castleton Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Cotswold Close, DA7 Cotswold Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Eastleigh Road, DA7 Eastleigh Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Eversley Avenue, DA7 Eversley Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Eversley Cross, DA7 Eversley Cross is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Holmsdale Grove, DA1 Holmsdale Grove is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Holmsdale Grove, DA7 Holmsdale Grove is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Manor Way, DA7 Manor Way is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Northall Road, DA7 Northall Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Old Manor Way, DA7 Old Manor Way is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Parkside Avenue, DA7 Parkside Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Parkside Cross, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Ranworth Close, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Tanners Close, DA1 Tanners Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Venners Close, DA7 Venners Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Westfield Road, DA7 Westfield Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area


Barnehurst

The name of Barnehurst is derived from the name of the landowner family and the Saxon word for woodland: ’hurst’.

In 1745, Miles Barne the son of a wealthy London merchant married Elizabeth Elwick the heiress to May Place and inherited the estate in 1750. The family owned May Place until 1938 when it was sold to the local council.

The name Barnehurst came into being once a station had been proposed in Conduit Wood for the Bexley Heath Railway Company on their 1895 railway. It crossed the May Place Estate, then owned by Colonel Frederick Barne. At that time the area now known as Barnehurst was part of the Parish of Crayford, consisting of a mix of farmland and market gardens, with cherry, apple and plum orchards, with wood and parkland belonging to the estates of May Place, Martens Grove and Oakwood. The small population was concentrated along and to the south of Mayplace Road.

At first, the railway failed to attract large scale house developers - passenger numbers were small only boosted at weekends by golfers travelling to the new Barnehurst Golf Course opened in 1903. Its club house the old mansion of May Place was destroyed by fire in 1959. The electrification of the Bexleyheath Line in 1926 signalled the start of the large housing developments of the 1920s and 1930s.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Erith High Street, DA8
TUM image id: 1466529309
Trolley bus (1935)
TUM image id: 1557150459
Martens Avenue, Barnehurst (1934)
TUM image id: 1557161730
Mayplace Road East (1900)
TUM image id: 1574088030
Print-friendly version of this page