Moreton Court, DA1

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1970s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.46106 0.17968) 

Moreton Court, DA1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Slade Green · DA1 ·
December
1
2017

Moreton Court is a road in the DA1 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Ashurst Close, DA1 Ashurst Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Buckley Close, DA1 Buckley Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Burgate Close, DA1 Burgate Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Craymill Square, DA1 Craymill Square is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Darlton Close, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Ely Close, DA1 Ely Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Ely Close, DA8 Ely Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Eversley Avenue, DA7 Eversley Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Eversley Avenue, DA8 Eversley Avenue is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Eversley Cross, DA7 Eversley Cross is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Furner Close, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Gascoyne Drive, DA1 Gascoyne Drive is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Holmsdale Grove, DA1 Holmsdale Grove is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Holmsdale Grove, DA7 Holmsdale Grove is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Mayplace Road East, DA1 Mayplace Road East runs west-east through the DA1 and DA7 postcodes.
Norris way, DA1 Norris way is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Parkside Avenue, DA1 Parkside Avenue is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Parkside Avenue, DA7 Parkside Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Parkside Cross, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Parkside Parade, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Shearwood Crescent, DA1 Shearwood Crescent is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Tanners Close, DA1 Tanners Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Walker Close, DA1 Walker Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Wyatt Road, DA1 Wyatt Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area


Slade Green

Slade Green was originally called Slades Green.

The area was sparsely populated and Slades Green had only 66 people in 1848 but in 1849 the North Kent Line was built. Slades Green gained a National School in 1868 and St Augustine’s Church opened in 1899.

Sladesgreen Farm was the centre of a market gardening area known locally as ’Cabbage Island’ located between Moat Lane (formerly Whitehall Lane) and Slade Green Road.

Slade Green railway station was opened on 1 July 1900 to serve the developing local community following the construction of a rail depot designed to service steam locomotives for South Eastern and Chatham Railway. It was at first called ’Slades Green’ and it was not until 1953 that this was changed to Slade Green.

By 1910 a complete ’railway village’ of 158 houses had been built. The significance of the village had increased by 1905 and that it had absorbed historically important Howbury Manor.

Explosions at a former Trench Warfare Filling Factory caused the death of 13 workers on 19 February 1924. A mass grave at Northumberland Heath stands in memory of the victims. Explosives operations ended in the 1960s.

During the Second World War, Slade Green was subject to a series of air raids, notably the night of 16 April 1941.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Erith High Street, DA8
TUM image id: 1466529309
Martens Avenue, Barnehurst (1934)
TUM image id: 1557161730
Mayplace Road East (1900)
TUM image id: 1574088030
Print-friendly version of this page