Thames Road, DA1

Road maybe built in the Edwardian era. Housing stock dates between 1910 and 1925

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.45974 0.19196) 

Thames Road, DA1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Slade Green · DA1 ·
December
1
2017

Thames Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Ambrose Close, DA1 Ambrose Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Beult Road, DA1 Beult Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Buckley Close, DA1 Buckley Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Craymill Square, DA1 Craymill Square is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Crayside Industrial Estate, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Darlton Close, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Gascoyne Drive, DA1 Gascoyne Drive is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Kennet Road, DA1 Kennet Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Mayplace Avenue, DA1 Mayplace Avenue is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Medway Road, DA1 Medway Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Norris way, DA1 Norris way is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Optima Park, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Ravensbourne Road, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Russell Close, DA1 Russell Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
School Crescent, DA1 School Crescent is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Shearwood Crescent, DA1 Shearwood Crescent is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Shuttle Road, DA1 Shuttle Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Stour Road, DA1 Stour Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Swale Road, DA1 Swale Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Thomas Road, DA1 Thomas Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Unit 11-12, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Woollett Close, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page