Ross Road, DA1

Road in/near Crayford

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.4454 0.18911) 

Ross Road, DA1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Crayford · DA1 ·
December
1
2017

Ross Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Ashen Drive, DA1 Ashen Drive is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Bowmans Road, DA1 Bowmans Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Broomhill Road, DA1 Broomhill Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Chastilian Road, DA1 Chastilian Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Clive Avenue, DA1 Clive Avenue is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Dale Close, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Dale End, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Dale Road, DA1 Dale Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Denver Road, DA1 Denver Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Dudsbury Road, DA1 Dudsbury Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Havelock Road, DA1 Havelock Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Heath Road, DA1 Heath Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Heathlands Rise, DA1 Heathlands Rise is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Helen Close, DA1 Helen Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Hill Brow, DA1 Hill Brow is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Hillside Road, DA1 Hillside Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
James Road, DA1 James Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Knole Road, DA1 Knole Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Maida Vale Road, DA1 Maida Vale Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Marcus Road, DA1 Marcus Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Mount Road, DA1 Mount Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
North Road, DA1 North Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Phillips Close, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Ridge Avenue, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Ridge Way, DA1 Ridge Way is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Seaton Road, DA1 Seaton Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Shepherds Lane, DA1 Shepherds Lane is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Shepherds Lane, DA2 Shepherds Lane is a road in the DA2 postcode area
Swan Lane, DA1 Swan Lane is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Tudor Close, DA1 Tudor Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Valley Close, DA1 Valley Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Valley Road, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Waltham Close, DA1 Waltham Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Wentworth Drive, DA1 Wentworth Drive is a road in the DA1 postcode area
West Heath Close, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
West Heath Road, DA1 West Heath Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Western Terrace, DA1 Western Terrace is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Windsor Drive, DA1 Windsor Drive is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Winifred Road, DA1 Winifred Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area


Crayford

Crayford was combined with other local areas to form the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.


Crayford has a long and interesting history. The area was first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle (c.891 - 924), which states that the Britons fought the Jutes at the Battle of Creganford in 457. The Domesday Book (1086) records that in Crayford "there is a church", implying that there was a well established settlement in the area by that time. The Norman Church of St Paulinus, which still stands on top of Crayford Hill overlooking the town, was built in 1100.

The original stimulus for settlement in the area was the fact that the River Cray could be forded at this point - and "Cray-ford" became the settlement’s name.

Crayford Manor House stands just to the north-west of St Paulinus Church, probably in roughly the same position as the first manor house, which was established in the 14th century. Crayford actually contained two manors, those of Howbury and Newbury.

Several large houses once stood in the area, including Oakwood, Shenstone and May Place. Little evidence remains of these, although part of the last house called May Place is now incorporated into the clubhouse of Barnehurst Golf Course.

The house was for many years the seat of the lord of the manor and between 1694 and 1707 was the home of Sir Cloudesley Shovell (1650 - 1707), Commander in Chief of the Navy who took part in the capture of Gibraltar in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. Three years later, after his ship the Association was wrecked off the Isles of Scilly, he was strangled for the rings he wore, by a fisherwoman.

The presence of the river in the town led to the growth of industries such as tanning and silk-making, which need a constant supply of free-flowing fresh water. The tannery has long since gone, but the silk-printing works of David Evans Ltd, established in 1843, remain in the town. Swaislands was another long-established local printing firm. It was taken over by GP & J Baker who closed the works only in 1961.

In the early years of the 19th century the huge armaments firm Vickers, originally from Sheffield, moved into the area. In the few short years of the First World War Vickers’ workforce grew from 300 to 14,000. Vickers built an estate, the Crayford Garden Suburb, to the east of the town to house the armaments workers. Whilst all that remains of the Vickers factory today is the clocktower, surrounded by modern retail development, the houses are still very much in evidence and are sought after as homes because of the quality of construction. This area, which borders on Dartford and the County of Kent, became known as Barnes Cray after a prominent local family (the Barnes).

Other industries in the area included barge building in Crayford Creek, brickmaking and motor-car production by the Siddeley Autocar Company, which had its registered works at Crayford in 1902.

After the First World War the production of armaments was reduced, but industry continued to thrive and the local community prospered on the trade brought to the area as a result of the influx of workers during the war. The Princesses Theatre, opened in 1916 on the riverside, was built specifically to entertain these workers but unfortunately burnt to the ground within six months. It was subsequently rebuilt to exactly the same specifications but presumably with improved fire-protection measures!

In 1920 Crayford became an urban district. As in most other local areas, the 1930s saw a period of busy housebuilding, although this was perhaps not as extensive in Crayford as it was elsewhere. Houses were built mostly by local builders such as New Ideal Homesteads and W.H. Wedlock.

The population in the urban district almost doubled in the 20 years to 1951, from 15,896 in 1931 to 27,950 in 1951.

Housebuilding was interrupted by the Second World War, which affected Crayford badly because the presence of the Royal Arsenal nearby (see Thamesmead) and of the armaments works in the town made Crayford an obvious target for enemy bombers.

The town of Crayford today revolves around the retail trade, and has a large Sainsbury’s hypermarket at its centre. It is home to a substantial commuter population, who travel to London and nearby business and retail centres such as Bexleyheath and the newly opened Bluewater shopping park near Dartford.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page