Russell Close, DA1

Road maybe built in the Edwardian era. Housing stock dates between 1910 and 1925

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.45776 0.19201) 

Russell Close, DA1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Slade Green · DA1 ·
December
1
2017

Russell Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Ambrose Close, DA1 Ambrose Close is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Barnes Cray Road, DA1 Barnes Cray Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Beech Walk, DA1 Beech Walk is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Beult Road, DA1 Beult Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Bramley Place, DA1 Bramley Place is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Crayford Way, DA1 Crayford Way is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Crayside Industrial Estate, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Farm Place, DA1 Farm Place is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Iron Mill Lane, DA1 Iron Mill Lane is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Kennet Road, DA1 Kennet Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Maiden Lane, DA1 Maiden Lane is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Mayplace Avenue, DA1 Mayplace Avenue is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Medway Road, DA1 Medway Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Mill Place, DA1 Mill Place is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Old Farm Offices, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
Ravensbourne Road, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode
School Crescent, DA1 School Crescent is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Shuttle Road, DA1 Shuttle Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Stanham Place, DA1 Stanham Place is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Stour Road, DA1 Stour Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Swale Road, DA1 Swale Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Thames Road, DA1 Thames Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
The Rise, DA1 The Rise is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Village Green Road, DA1 Village Green Road is a road in the DA1 postcode area
Woollett Close, DA1 A street within the DA1 postcode


Slade Green

Slade Green was originally called Slades Green.

The area was sparsely populated and Slades Green had only 66 people in 1848 but in 1849 the North Kent Line was built. Slades Green gained a National School in 1868 and St Augustine’s Church opened in 1899.

Sladesgreen Farm was the centre of a market gardening area known locally as ’Cabbage Island’ located between Moat Lane (formerly Whitehall Lane) and Slade Green Road.

Slade Green railway station was opened on 1 July 1900 to serve the developing local community following the construction of a rail depot designed to service steam locomotives for South Eastern and Chatham Railway. It was at first called ’Slades Green’ and it was not until 1953 that this was changed to Slade Green.

By 1910 a complete ’railway village’ of 158 houses had been built. The significance of the village had increased by 1905 and that it had absorbed historically important Howbury Manor.

Explosions at a former Trench Warfare Filling Factory caused the death of 13 workers on 19 February 1924. A mass grave at Northumberland Heath stands in memory of the victims. Explosives operations ended in the 1960s.

During the Second World War, Slade Green was subject to a series of air raids, notably the night of 16 April 1941.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page