Rhoda Street, E2

Road in/near Shoreditch, existing between the 1810s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.232.186.117 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Shoreditch · E2 ·
December
22
2017

Rhoda Street was formerly Peter Street.

By the end of the 17th century, the area was becoming home to Huguenot refugees. They brought silk weaving skills, so the cottages in the Old Nichol were equipped with wide weavers’ windows.

Around the turn of the 1800s, this was a road called 3 House Corner.

In the mid-19th century, the area became host to Irish Catholics escaping the potato famine. At the end of the 19th century there was another wave of Jewish immigration of East Europeans escaping pogroms and in the 1930s there was another wave of German Jews escaping Nazi Germany. In the 1960s and 1970s the Bangladeshi community started to develop.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx



 

Shoreditch

Shoreditch is a place in the London Borough of Hackney. It is a built-up district located 2.3 miles (3.7 km) north east of Charing Cross.

An old form of the name is Soersditch, and the origin is lost, though early tradition connects it with Jane Shore, the mistress of Edward IV.

It was the site of an Augustinian priory in the 12th Century until its dissolution in 1539. In 1576 the first playhouse (theatre) in England was opened, and in 1577 The Curtain theatre was opened in the middle of what is Curtain Road today.

During the 17th Century, wealthy traders and Huguenot silk weavers moved to the area, establishing a textile industry centered to the south around Spitalfields Market. The area declined along with the textile industry and from the end of the 19th Century to the 1960s, Shoreditch was a by-word for crime, prostitution and poverty.

Today Shoreditch is a busy and popular district, noted for its large number of art galleries, bars, restaurants, media businesses and an urban golf club.

Shoreditch High Street station officially opened to the public on 27 April 2010 with services running between Dalston Junction and New Cross or New Cross Gate. The station replaced nearby Shoreditch, which closed on 9 June 2006. The next station to the south is Whitechapel and to the north is Hoxton.
Print-friendly version of this page