This is a street in the SW1P postcode area
Alderney Street, SW1V Alderney Street was originally Stanley Street, after George Stanley, local landowner. Arden Street, SW8 Arden Street disappeared as the New Covent Garden Market was built. Birdcage Walk, SW1E Birdcage Walk runs east-west from the Parliament Square area (as Great George Street) to Buckingham Palace. Birdcage Walk, SW1H Birdcage Walk runs east from Great George Street, along the south side of St James’s Park. Broadway, SW1H Broadway - formerly the location of the headquarters of both London Transport and the Metropolitan Police. Carey Place, SW1V Carey Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Carlton House Terrace, SW1Y Carlton House Terrace consists of a pair of terraces - white stucco-faced houses on the south side of the street overlooking St. James’s Park. Castle Lane, SW1E Castle Lane is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Caxton Street, SW1H William Caxton was responsible for the introduction of the printing press to England. Dells Mews, SW1V Dells Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Duke Street, SW1Y Duke Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Elm Lane, SW8 Elm Lane is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Haines Street, SW8 Haines Street was named after the speculating solicitor, Frederick Haines, who built it in 1862. Hide Place, SW1P Hide Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1P postal area. Nine Elms Lane, SW8 Nine Elms Lane was named around 1645, from a row of elm trees bordering the road. Park Place, SW1A Park Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area. Ponton Road, SW8 Ponton Road is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Pulford Street, SW1V Pulford Street was a street between construction in 1848 and demolition after the Second World War. Rivermill, SW1V Rivermill is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Sleaford Street, SW8 Sleaford Street is virtually the last of the surviving streets of Battersea New Town. St George’s Square, SW1V St Georges Square is a long narrow space reaching to the river with an enclosed garden in the centre. Stag Place, SW1E Stag Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. The Arcade, SW1V The Arcade is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. The Mall, SW1Y The Mall is the processional route between Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace. Vincent Square, SW1P Vincent Square is a large grass-covered square which provides playing fields for Westminster School, which owns it. Walcott Street, SW1P Walcott Street was named after Reverend MEC Walcott, curate of the St Margaret’s, Westminster in the 1840s. Warwick Row, SW1E Warwick Row is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Warwick Way, SW1V Warwick Way is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Wilton Road, SW1V Wilton Road is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area.
The railways largely replaced the canals as a means of transport. Uniquely for a main line station, Victoria station was built on top of one.
Before the railway arrived in 1862, this area - like the area immediately south of it - was known as Pimlico
. The Grosvenor Canal ended in a large basin here.
Victoria station’s origins lie with the Great Exhibition of 1851, when a railway called the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway
came into existence, serving the site of the exhibition halls which had been transferred to Sydenham from Hyde Park. The terminus of that railway was at Stewarts Lane in Battersea on the south side of the river. In 1858 a joint enterprise was set up to take trains over the river: it was entitled the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway
; and was a mile and a quarter in length. The railway was owned by four railway companies: the Great Western (GWR); London & North Western (LNWR); the London, Brighton and South Coast (LBSCR); and the London Chatham and Dover Railways (LCDR). It was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1858.
The station was built in two parts: those on the western side, opened in 1862, with six platforms, ten tracks and an hotel (the 300-bedroom Grosvenor) were occupied by the Brighton company; whilst adjacent, and in the same year, the Chatham company were to occupy a less imposing wooden-fronted building. The latter’s station had nine tracks and was shared by broad-gauge trains of the GWR, whose trains arrived from Southall via the West London Extension Joint Railway through Chelsea. The GWR remained part owner of the station until 1932, although its trains had long since ceased to use it. Each side of the station had its own entrance and a separate station master; a wall between the two sections effectively emphasised that fact.
At the start of the twentieth century both parts of the station were rebuilt. It now had a decent frontage and forecourt, but not as yet a unified existence. Work on the Brighton side was completed in 1908 and was carried out in red brick; the Grosvenor Hotel was rebuilt at the same time. The Chatham side, in a Edwardian style with baroque elements, designed by Alfred Bloomfield, was completed a year later. The two sections were eventually connected in 1924 by removing part of a screen wall, when the platforms were renumbered as an entity. The station was redeveloped internally in the 1980s, with the addition of shops within the concourse, and above the western platforms.
The station was now serving boat trains, and during WWI it became the hub of trains carrying soldiers to and from France, many of them wounded. After the war the Continental steamer traffic became concentrated there, including the most famous of those trains, the Golden Arrow. The area around the station also became a site for other other forms of transport: a bus station in the forecourt; a coach terminal to the south; and it is now the terminal for trains serving Gatwick Airport.
Victoria is also well-served by London underground. The sub-surface Circle and District Lines opened on December 24, 1868; and the Victoria Line line came to Victoria Station with the third phase of construction of the line - the station’s platforms were opened on March 7, 1969, six months after the Victoria line had started running in outer London.