Graveley Avenue, Borehamwood, Herts.

Road in/near Borehamwood, existing between 2011 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.64975 -0.2643) 

Graveley Avenue, WD6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Borehamwood · WD6 ·
JANUARY
3
2018

This is a street in the WD6 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Cranes Farm Cranes Farm was a farm in Boreham Wood.
Home of Rest for Horses The Home of Rest for Horses was situated at the corner of Furzehill Road and Barnet Lane, near Borehamwood.
The Directors Arms/Bull and Tiger The Directors Arms was formerly known as the Bull and Tiger.

NEARBY STREETS
Arundel Drive, WD6 Arundel Drive runs from Furzehill Road to Balmoral Drive.
Ashley Drive, WD6 Ashley Drive was one of the original Laing estate roads.
Burghley Avenue, WD6 Burghley Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Carrington Avenue, WD6 Carrington Avenue dates from 1958.
Carrington Close, WD6 Carrington Close lies off of Carrington Avenue.
Cleveland Crescent, WD6 Cleveland Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Clydesdale Close, WD6 Clydesdale Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cranes Way, WD6 Cranes Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Dacre Gardens, WD6 Dacre Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Dales Road, WD6 Dales Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Elmwood Avenue, WD6 Elmwood Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Featherstone Gardens, WD6 Featherstone Gardens runs from Kenilworth Drive to Arundel Drive.
Grantham Green, WD6 Grantham Green is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Halter Close, WD6 Halter Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hampton Close, WD6 Hampton Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Kimbolton Green, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Lemsford Court, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Linster Grove, WD6 Linster Grove is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Lullington Garth, WD6 Lullington Garth has a very unusual name!
Manor Way, WD6 Manor Way was one of the first new roads to be designed in the Boreham Wood Estate.
Masefield Avenue, WD6 Masefield Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Melrose Avenue, WD6 Melrose Avenue was the first built of Borehamwood’s ’poet’ roads.
Milton Drive, WD6 Milton Drive is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Monksmead, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Monkswood Gardens, WD6 Monkswood Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Newton Crescent, WD6 Newton Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Norfolk Gardens, WD6 Norfolk Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Oakwood Avenue, WD6 Oakwood Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Penscroft Gardens, WD6 Penscroft Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Ripon Way, WD6 Ripon Way was planned as one of the main roads of the Laing Estate.
St Paul’s Close, WD6 St Paul’s Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Suffolk Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Tennison Avenue, WD6 Tennison Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Thornbury Gardens, WD6 Thornbury Gardens runs from Kenilworth Drive to Arundel Drive.
Tinwell Mews, WD6 Tinwell Mews is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Woodlands Close, WD6 Woodlands Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page