Royal Agricultural Hall - originally the ’Agricultural Hall’ - was opened in 1862 for holding agricultural shows.
Royal Agricultural Hall - now a Grade II listed building - was the home of the Royal Smithfield Club’s Smithfield Show from 1862 to 1938. It hosted the Royal Tournament from its inauguration in 1880 until the event became too large for the venue and moved to Olympia in the early years of the 20th century. It hosted the first Crufts dog show in 1891.
The Royal Agricultural Hall had its origins when in 1798 the Duke of Bedford, Sir Joseph Banks and other nobles and gentlemen decided to form the Smithfield Club, which would hold annual exhibitions of livestock, agricultural produce and agricultural implements.
Following some 40 years of exhibiting, first in Smithfield, then at a site in the Barbican, then Baker Street, it was proposed that the club erect a hall large enough to accommodate their annual display and also to be available for other shows. The foundation stone was laid in 1861 and the Agricultural Hall held its first exhibition in 1862.
When built it was one of the largest exhibition halls in the world.
During the Second World War the hall was commandeered by the Government, and from 1943, following the destruction of Mount Pleasant sorting office in an air raid, the Parcels Depot was moved to the hall.
|CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY|
Added: 20 Mar 2021 16:18 GMT
Owen Street is the site of Owen’s Boys’ School. The last school was built in 1881 and was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for the development which stand there today. It was a “Direct Grant” grammar school and was founded in 1613 by Dame Alice Owen. What is now “Owen’s Fields” was the playground between the old school and the new girls’ school (known then as “Dames Alice Owen’s School” or simply “DAOS”). The boys’ school had the top two floors of that building for their science labs. The school moved to Potters Bar in Hertfordshire in 1971 and is now one of the top State comprehensive schools in the country. The old building remained in use as an accountancy college and taxi-drivers’ “knowledge” school until it was demolished. The new building is now part of City and Islington College. Owen’s was a fine school. I should know because I attended there from 1961 to 1968.
Added: 7 May 2021 18:44 GMT
My nan lily,her sister Elizabeth and their parents Elizabeth and William lived here in1911
Added: 12 Apr 2022 17:36 GMT
My mother and her sister were born at 9 Windsor Terrace
My mother, Millie Haring (later Miller) and her sister Yetta Haring (later Freedman) were born here in 1922 and 1923. With their parents and older brother and sister, they lived in two rooms until they moved to Stoke Newington in 1929. She always said there were six rooms, six families, a shared sink on the first floor landing and a toilet in the backyard.
Barry J. Page
Added: 27 Jul 2022 19:41 GMT
Highbury Corner V1 Explosion
Grandma described the V1 explosion at Highbury Corner on many occasions. She was working in the scullery when the flying bomb landed. The blast shattered all the windows in the block of flats and blew off the bolt on her front door. As she looked out the front room window, people in various states of injury and shock were making their way along Highbury Station Road. One man in particular, who was bleeding profusely from glass shard wounds to his neck, insisted in getting home to see if his family was all right. Others were less fortunate. Len, the local newsagent, comforted a man, who had lost both legs caused by the blast, until the victim succumbed to his injuries. The entire area was ravaged and following are statistics. The flying bomb landed during lunch hour (12:46 p.m.) on June 27th 1944. 26 people lost their lives, 84 were seriously injured and 71 slightly injured.
Added: 18 Mar 2021 13:08 GMT
White Conduit Street, N1
My mum, Rosina Wade of the Wade and Hannam family in the area of Chapel Street and Parkfield Street, bought her first “costume” at S Cohen’s in White Conduit Street. Would have probably been about 1936 or thereabouts. She said that he was a small man but an expert tailor. I hope that Islington Council preserve the shop front as it’s a piece of history of the area. Mum used to get her high heel shoes from an Italian shoe shop in Chapel Street. She had size 2 feet and they would let her know when a new consignment of size 2 shoes were in. I think she was a very good customer. She worked at Killingbacks artificial flower maker in Northampton Square and later at the Halifax bombers factory north of Edgware where she was a riveter.
Added: 21 Jun 2022 21:40 GMT
I am seeking the location of Penfold Printers Offices in Dt Albans place - probably about 1870 or so
Added: 2 May 2022 01:33 GMT
Windsor Terrace, N1
|LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT|
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT
Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT
Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."
From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.
Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT
The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT
Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.
He was awarded a £10 bonus.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT
The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT
TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.
Islington Islington grew as a sprawling Middlesex village along the line of the Great North Road, and has provided the name of the modern borough. Philharmonic Hall The Philharmonic Hall was a major music hall throughout the 1860s and early 1870s. White Conduit Fields White Conduit Fields in Islington was an early venue for cricket and several major matches are known to have been played there in the 18th century. Angel Arcade, EC1V Angel Arcade is named, along with many ’Angel’ streets of the area, after the famous pub. Baron Street, N1 Baron Street is named after Joseph Barron, landlord of the White Lion inn during the late eighteenth century. Berners Road, N1 Berners Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Business Design Centre, N1 The Business Design Centre is a Grade II listed building located between Upper Street and Liverpool Road Chapel Place, N1 Chapel Place lies off the north side of Chapel Market towards Liverpool Road. Colebrook Row, N1 Colebrooke Row is a street of late 18th and early 19th century terraced houses. Collins Yard, N1 Collins Yard is so-named as it ran alongside the Collins’ Music Hall giving access to the rear of the hall. Cross Street, N1 Cross Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Denmark Grove, N1 Denmark Grove is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Devonia Road, N1 Devonia Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Duncan Street, N1 Duncan Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Duncan Terrace, N1 Duncan Terrace is named after Admiral Duncan the commander of the Naval Fleet at the Battle of Camperdown against the Dutch in 1797. Fowler Road, N1 Fowler Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Gaskin Street, N1 Gaskin Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Gerrard Road, N1 Gerrard Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Gibson Square, N1 Gibson Square is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Graham Street, N1 Graham Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Grant Street, N1 The present Grant Street is the remnant of Warren Street, an L-shaped road running between Chapel Market and White Conduit Street, renamed Grant Street in 1936. Hanover Yard, N1 Hanover Yard is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Harvest Lodge, N1 Harvest Lodge a plain brick, four-storey block of flats was built in 1962. Hayward House, N1 Hayward House is a four-storey block of flats immediately north of St Silas’s Church. Hermes Street, N1 Hermes Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Islington Green, N1 Islington Green is both a small green and a series of roads which surround it. Mandeville Houses, N1 Mandeville Houses, fronting Mantell Street and Liverpool Road was the earliest housing scheme built by Finsbury Borough Council. Mantell Street, N1 Mantell Street, originally Sermon Lane, is now part of Tolpuddle Street. Moon Street, N1 Moon Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Noel Road, N1 Noel Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Payne House, N1 Payne House, along Charlotte Terrace and dating from 1937, is part of the Barnsbury Estate. Penton Grove, N1 The narrow loop of Penton Grove, now reduced to an L-shaped alley, was laid out on the site of one of the bowling greens belonging to Prospect House (Dobney’s). Penton Street, N1 Penton Street is a through-route leading on to the narrower Barnsbury Road which continues its line northwards into Islington. Pride Court, N1 Pride Court is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Quick Street, N1 Quick Street is named for the favourite comedian of King George III, John Quick. Rheidol Mews, N1 Rheidol Mews is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. St Katharineâ€™s House, N1 St Katharine’s House is at the corner of Penton Street and the eastern stub of what had been Wynford Road until that street was cut off to its west by the large Half Moon Estate. Union Square, N1 Union Square (sometime Union Court) was approached by a narrow alley. White Lion Street, N1 White Lion Street is named after the former White Lion inn on Islington High Street. Almeida Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Bar Prague This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Bushy Park The Charles Lamb is a pub on Elia Street. Camden Head The Camden Head is a grade II listed building with a circular bar, etched glass windows and original mirrors. Central Station This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Chapel Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. DogEatDog This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Earl Of Essex This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. John Salt This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Kings Head This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Lucky Voice This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. New Rose This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Pig & Butcher This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Star Space This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Steam Passage This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. The Albion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. The Angel This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. The Angelic This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. The Bull This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. The Castle The Castle stands on the corner of Pentonville Road and Baron Street. The Crown This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. The Lexington This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. The Nag’s Head This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. The Three Johns This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. Wenlock & Essex This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so. York This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Islington grew as a sprawling Middlesex village along the line of the Great North Road, and has provided the name of the modern borough.
Some roads on the edge of the area, including Essex Road, were known as streets by the medieval period, possibly indicating a Roman origin, but little physical evidence remains. What is known is that the Great North Road from Aldersgate came into use in the 14th century, connecting with a new turnpike up Highgate Hill. This was along the line of modern Upper Street, with a toll gate at The Angel defining the extent of the village. The Back Road - modern Liverpool Road
- was primarily a drovers’ road where cattle would be rested before the final leg of their journey to Smithfield. Pens and sheds were erected along this road to accommodate the animals.
The first recorded church, St Mary’s, was erected in the twelfth century and was replaced in the fifteenth century. Islington lay on the estates of the Bishop of London and the Dean and Chapter of St Pauls. There were substantial medieval moated manor houses in the area, principally at Canonbury and Highbury. In 1548, there were 440 communicants listed and the rural atmosphere, with access to the City and Westminster, made it a popular residence for the rich and eminent. The local inns, however, harboured many fugitives and recusants.
In the 17th and 18th centuries the availability of water made Islington a good place for growing vegetables to feed London. The manor became a popular excursion destination for Londoners, attracted to the area by its rural feel. Many public houses were therefore built to serve the needs of both the excursionists and travellers on the turnpike. By 1716, there were 56 ale-house keepers in Upper Street, also offering pleasure and tea gardens, and activities such as archery, skittle alleys and bowling. By the 18th century, music and dancing were offered, together with billiards, firework displays and balloon ascents. The King’s Head Tavern, now a Victorian building with a theatre, has remained on the same site, opposite the parish church, since 1543. The founder of the theatre, Dan Crawford, who died in 2005, disagreed with the introduction of decimal coinage. For twenty-plus years after decimalisation (on 15 February 1971), the bar continued to show prices and charge for drinks in ’old money’.
By the 19th century many music halls and theatres were established around Islington Green
. One such was Collins’ Music Hall, the remains of which are now partly incorporated into a bookshop. The remainder of the Hall has been redeveloped into a new theatre, with its entrance at the bottom of Essex Road. It stood on the site of the Landsdowne Tavern, where the landlord had built an entertainment room for customers who wanted to sing (and later for professional entertainers). It was founded in 1862 by Samuel Thomas Collins Vagg and by 1897 had become a 1800-seat theatre with 10 bars. The theatre suffered damage in a fire in 1958 and has not reopened.
The Islington Literary and Scientific Society was established in 1833 and first met in Mr Edgeworth’s Academy on Upper Street. Its goal was to spread knowledge through lectures, discussions, and experiments - politics and theology being forbidden. A building, the Literary and Scientific Institution, was erected in 1837 in Wellington (later Almeida) Street, designed by Roumieu and Gough in a stuccoed Grecian style. It included a library (containing 3,300 volumes in 1839), reading room, museum, laboratory, and lecture theatre seating 500.
The Royal Agricultural Hall was built in 1862 on the Liverpool Road
site of William Dixon’s Cattle Layers. It was built for the annual Smithfield Show in December of that year but was popular for other purposes, including recitals and the Royal Tournament. It was the primary exhibition site for London until the 20th century and the largest building of its kind, holding up to 50,000 people. It was requisitioned for use by the Mount Pleasant sorting office during World War II and never re-opened. The main hall has now been incorporated into the Business Design Centre
The aerial bombing of World War II caused much damage to Islington’s housing stock, with 3,200 dwellings destroyed. Before the war a number of 1930s council housing blocks had been added to the stock. After the war, partly as a result of bomb site redevelopment, the council housing boom got into its stride, reaching its peak in the 1960s: several extensive estates were constructed, by both the Metropolitan Borough of Islington and the London County Council. Clearance of the worst terraced housing was undertaken, but Islington continued to be very densely populated, with a high level of overcrowding. The district has many council blocks, and the local authority has begun to replace some of them.
From the 1960s, the remaining Georgian terraces were rediscovered by middle-class families. Many of the houses were rehabilitated, and the area became newly fashionable. This displacement of the poor by the aspirational has become known as gentrification. Among the new residents were a number of figures who became central in the New Labour movement, including Tony Blair before his victory in the 1997 general election. According to The Guardian in 2006, "Islington is widely regarded as the spiritual home of Britain’s left-wing intelligentsia." The Granita Pact between Gordon Brown and Tony Blair is said to have been made at a now defunct restaurant on Upper Street.
The completion of the Victoria line and redevelopment of Angel tube station created the conditions for developers to renovate many of the early Victorian and Georgian townhouses. They also built new developments. Islington remains a district with diverse inhabitants, with its private houses and apartments not far from social housing in immediately neighbouring wards such as Finsbury and Clerkenwell to the south, Bloomsbury and King’s Cross to the west, and Highbury to the north west, and also the Hackney districts of De Beauvoir and Old Street to the north east.