Old Brompton Road
Print-friendly version of this page West Brompton is a Network Rail West London Line and London Overground and Underground (District Line) station in west London.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
It is located on Old Brompton Road
immediately south of Earls Court Exhibition Centre.
The name refers to the older locality of Brompton to the east, although the areas of South Kensington and Earl's Court separate West Brompton from its namesake. Whilst in the early part of the 20th century, the whole area between Knightsbridge and here would have been known as Brompton, modern-day locals would not recognise Brompton and West Brompton as geographically contiguous. Today it still has its own Royal Mail London postcode of SW10 (though that also covers part of Chelsea).
On 12 April 1869, the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) opened its own station as the terminus and only station on its extension from Gloucester Road
station (Earl's Court station did not open until 1871). On 1 March 1880, the MDR opened an extension south from West Brompton to Putney Bridge