The Edgware Road in Colindale

Image dated 1916

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.59188 -0.25721, 51.591 -0.257) 

The Edgware Road in Colindale

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Photo taken in a northwesterly direction · * · NW9 ·
JUNE
10
2012

Looking northwest along the Edgware Road at the junction with Colindale Avenue.

All names used describing the photo in the postcard have resited. The Hyde now generally refers to a part of the Edgware Road further south. Red Hill, originally the name of a Burnt Oak farm has fallen out of use. Hendon was the local borough at the time.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


The Edgware Road in Colindale</SPAN>

The Edgware Road in Colindale

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Colindale Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.
The Edgware Road in Colindale Looking northwest along the Edgware Road at the junction with Colindale Avenue.

NEARBY STREETS
Airco Close, NW9 Airco Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Annesley Avenue, NW9 Annesley Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Back Lane, NW9 Back Lane runs down to Silk Stream.
Bailey Court, NW9 Bailey Court is a block on Lingard Avenue.
Barham Terrace, NW9 Barham Terrace is a location in London.
Bonsai Point 399J, NW9 Bonsai Point 399J is a location in London.
Capitol Industrial Park, NW9 Capitol Industrial Park is a location in London.
Cecil Road, NW9 Cecil Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Chequers Close, NW9 Chequers Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Chronicle Avenue, NW9 Chronicle Avenue runs behind Colindale Park.
Colin Close, NW9 Colin Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Colin Parade, NW9 Colin Parade is a street in Kingsbury.
Colin Park Road, NW9 Colin Park Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Colindale Avenue, NW9 Colindale Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Court Way, NW9 Court Way is a street in Kingsbury.
Edgware Road, NW9 Edgware Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Elmwood Crescent, NW9 Elmwood Crescent was part of Ernest Trowbridge’s 1922-1924 Elmwood Estate.
European Business Centre, NW9 European Business Centre is a street in Kingsbury.
Evelyn Avenue, NW9 Evelyn Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Galton Court, NW9 Galton Court is a block in Colindale.
Grove Crescent, NW9 Grove Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Grove Park Industrial Estate, NW9 Grove Park Industrial Estate is a location in London.
Grove Park, NW9 Grove Park is a street in Kingsbury.
Hay Lane, NW9 Hay Lane is a street in Kingsbury.
Joslin Avenue, NW9 Joslin Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Kenwood Court, NW9 Kenwood Court was built after a fire.
Manor Way, NW9 Manor Way is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Mornington Close, NW9 Mornington Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Observer Close, NW9 Observer Close is one of the ’newspaper’ roads of Colindale.
Orchard Gate, NW9 Orchard Gate is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Oriental Square, NW9 Oriental Square is a location in London.
Ridge Close, NW9 Ridge Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Rose Glen, NW9 Rose Glen is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Ross Court, NW9 Ross Court is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Sheaveshill Parade, NW9 Sheaveshill Parade is a street in Kingsbury.
Silverworks Close, NW9 Silverworks Close is a location in London.
St Georges Avenue, NW9 St Georges Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Stonecrop Close, NW9 Stonecrop Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Technology Park, NW9 Technology Park is a street in Kingsbury.
The Grove, NW9 The Grove is a street in Kingsbury.
The Ridgeway, NW9 The Ridgeway is a crescent north of Wakemans Hill Avenue.
Tyre Lane, NW9 Tyre Lane is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Westfield Close, NW9 Westfield Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Westfield Sports Ground, NW9 Westfield Sports Ground is a location in London.
Windover Avenue, NW9 Windover Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Zenith Close, NW9 Zenith Close is a location in London.


Colindale

Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.

Formerly in the borough and ancient parish of Hendon, Colindale was essentially the dale between Mill Hill and Burroughs. By the middle of the 20th century, it had come to include that part of the Edgware Road between The Hyde, and Burnt Oak.

The area is named after a 16th century family of the same name. Until the 20th century Collindale, was without any buildings save for a large house called Collindale Lodge, Collindale Farm, and a few cottages. (A spelling with two L’s has been used, as on this printed in 1873.) All of these properties were on Collindeep Lane, which had in the medieval period been an alternative route out of London (via Hampstead, Golders Green, and Hendon) to the Edgware Road. By the end of the 16th century it was not often used as a main road, and by the middle part of the 19th century was called Ancient Street.

By the end of the 19th century cheap land prices made Colindale attractive to developers. Colindale Hospital was started in 1898 as an asylum for the long term sick of central London, and The Government Lymph Establishment for making vaccines was built in 1907. By 1996 the majority of the hospital was closed, and at present lies mostly derelict. In 1902 the British Museum built a new depository, and kept the newspaper collection there from 1934.

Garstin’s Ltd established a trunk factory in 1901, as well as a row of cottages called Leatherville, as such they constitute the first manufacturer in the Collindale. By 1914 there was already housing between Colindale Avenue and Annesley avenues mostly to house the workers of these endeavours. Immediately after the First World War a number of other manufacturing companies came to Colindale. Franco Illuminated Signs came to Aerodrome Road in 1922. They made their money making the lights for the Franco British Exhibition (1909), from which they took their name (later abbreviated to Franco). They were best known for the neon signs to be found in Piccadilly from the 1920s to the 1970s. Frigidaire started in a wooden shack in Aerodrome Road, employing 11 people in 1923, and selling the first automatic household fridges in England. The reason why many of these and other companies chose Colindale was that there was land available for expansion. However by 1923 the tube railway reached Colindale, land prices increased and factory expansion was not realisable. A number of industries looked elsewhere for premises. In 1931 Fridgdaire, for example, decided to build a new manufacturing plant on the Edgware Road and had moved its entire operations there by 1946.

Colindale station opened on 18 August 1924 on what was then the Hampstead and Highgate Line as the first station on the second section of the Underground’s extension to Edgware.

After the station opened suburban development was rapid, and by 1939 much of the western side was semi-detached housing. Typical is the Colin Park Estate built by F. H. Stucke & Co, built around Colindeep Lane (1927). A number of the houses on this estate are by the architect E. G. Trobridge. St Matthias started as a mission church in 1905. Its permanent building was opened in 1934 and rebuilt 1971-3. Colindale infants’ school was started in Colindeep Lane in 1921, with a new building constructed in Woodfield Avenue in 1933. In September of 1940 Colindale tube station and the Newpaper Library (rebuilt 1957) were bombed, and the site was visited by George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother. The V1 flying bombs hit Colindale Hospital on 1 July 1944 killing four members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

Places of interest include the British Library newspaper depository, the Royal Air Force Museum, Barnet College, and the Peel Centre (better known as Hendon Police College).

A small brook, a tributary of the River Brent called the Silk Stream, runs north to south. Here also is the Grahame Park Estate, built on the former Hendon Aerodrome.


LOCAL PHOTOS
West Hendon from above
TUM image id: 1489498601
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Featherstone Farm (1909)
TUM image id: 1517934317
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Plough - reputedly 800 years old
TUM image id: 1517936032
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Edgware Road in Colindale
TUM image id: 1517936686
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Silk Stream near Colindale (1916)
TUM image id: 1517938166
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The Edgware Road in Colindale
TUM image id: 1517936686
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page