Junction Road dates from 1813.
Junction Road was built at the same time, and as part of the same scheme as the then-new Archway Road
and laid out as an area of working class housing. The early residents were largely those who had to move from the St Pancras area as that station was built.
Junction Road is now home to Archway Tower, a building whose appearance is locally divisive.
Junction Road railway station stood on the corner of Junction Road and Station Road
until its closure in 1960 as a good line. Passenger services ran from 1872 to 1916.
In 2004 Junction Road was branded “the worst street in the borough” for its level of grime, graffiti and “festering rubbish” but has since improved greatly due to the efforts of Islington Council.
The street has a number of notable restaurants, bars and pubs.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Anson Road, N7 Anson Road is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area. Archway Road, N19 Archway Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Campdale Road, N7 Campdale Road is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area. Caversham Road, NW5 Caversham Road was named for 18th century landowner, Rev Robert South of Caversham, Cannon of Chris College, Oxford. Chester Road, N19 Chester Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Corinne Road, N19 Corinne Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Dalmeny Road, N7 Dalmeny Road is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area. Despard Road, N19 Despard Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Dresden Road, N19 Dresden Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Elm Court, N6 Elm Court is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Flowers Mews, N19 Flowers Mews is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Foxham Road, N19 Foxham Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Gresley Road, N19 Gresley Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Holland Walk, N19 Holland Walk is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Hornsey Lane, N6 Hornsey Lane is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Lady Margaret Road, NW5 Lady Margaret Road runs north to Ospringe Road with Leverton Street and Montpelier Grove running parallel to the east and west respectively. Leighton Road, NW5 The route of Leighton Road followed an original path from the Assembly House Inn on Kentish Town Road to Maiden Lane. Macdonald Road, N19 Macdonald Road is notable for a McDonald’s restaurant featuring on a corner.
Milton Avenue, N6 Milton Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Milton Park, N6 Milton Park is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Milton Road, N6 Milton Road is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Orchard Road, N6 Orchard Road is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Parkgate Mews, N6 Parkgate Mews is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. St Johns Way, N19 St. John’s Way, originally St. John’s Road, was partially laid out in 1845. Station Road, N19 Station Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area. Vorley Road, N19 Vorley Road is one of the streets of London in the N19 postal area.
Tufnell Park - a respectable suburb.
Tufnell Park kept a rural air well into the 19th century in its important role as a base for a number of dairies supplying the capital. In 1753 the area became the property of William Tufnell who was granted the manor of Barnsbury by his father-in-law Sir William Halton. The manor (now demolished) stood on the site of the Holloway Odeon. The manor's gateposts can still be seen, however, towards the west end of Tufnell Park Road
. Tufnell petitioned parliament for permission to develop his estate but the leases he was granted were left unused.
The Tufnell Park estate passed to his brother George Foster Tufnell, MP for Beverley (d 1798), then to George's son William Tufnell (d 1809), MP for Colchester, who married in 1804 into a fortune owned by Mary Carleton (daughter of Thomas Carleton of South Carleton d.1829). Both are buried at St Mary’s Islington, hence her maiden name appearing as two street names in N7.
The manor then passed to Henry Tufnell, MP for Ipswich and Devonport, Liberal chief whip and Lord of the Treasury.
Serious building began in the 1845 with a scheme sponsored by Henry Tufnell and designed by John Shaw Jr, who had laid out the Eton Estate in Chalk Farm. This initial work was largely limited to the area around Carleton Road. In 1865 the scheme was taken up by George Truefitt who developed most of the local villas and St George's Church (1865), built for Anglican secessionists. The housing stock was of a solid nature, and Tufnell Park kept its good name until the end of the century.
Charles Booth in his survey of London Life and Labour reported that the older streets (Anson Road
and Carleton Road) housed a mixture of retired merchants and music hall artistes who were rich enough to holiday abroad over winter. He believed that second wave of building around Hugo, Corinne, Huddleston and Archibald Road
s threatened to create a metropolis from which the rich would soon be going
. The private girls' school established at the corner of Carleton and Brecknock Road
s was closed in 1878 after many of its pupils drowned in the Princess Alice
Tufnell Park was more fortunate than several of its neighbours. Whereas roads and railway lines were sliced through Kentish Town and Camden in the 19th century, they mostly passed through Tufnell Park in tunnel, and Junction Road railway station provided a direct link with central London. The shabby genteel reputation of Tufnell Park made it a standard comic reference in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. George and Weedon Grossmith locate their aspirational Mr Pooter in Tufnell Park (Upper Holloway) in Diary of a Nobody
. Julian and Sandy, the camp BBC home service comedians frequently referenced Tufnell Park as did the Guardian newspaper's Biff cartoon in the 1980s.
Tufnell Park tube station is on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line, between Archway and Kentish Town. It has distinctive Edwardian red tiling and has two lifts between the street and platform level rather than escalators. Upon exiting the lifts, passengers are required to use stairs to reach the trains. The southbound platform lies at a lower level than the northbound.
The station was opened on 22 June 1907.