Print-friendly version of this page
This is a street in the W10 postcode area
Abbey Road, NW8 Abbey Road, after which the Beatles album was named, runs from St John's Wood to West Hampstead. Abbots Place, NW6 Abbots Place runs from Priory Road to West End Lane and Abbey Road. Aberdare Gardens, NW6 This late Victorian street was probably named in compliment to Henry Bruce, Home Secretary 1868-1873, who was created 1st Baron Aberdare. Absalom Road, W10 Absalom Road was the former name for the western section of Golborne Gardens. Acklam Road, W10 Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway. Acol Road, NW6 Acol is not an acronym, but a village in Kent that gave its name to Acol Road, NW6. Adair Road, W10 Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders. Albert Road, NW6 Albert Road in NW6 escaped the mass renaming of Albert Roads in London. Albion Mews, NW6 Albion Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Alexander Street, W2 Alexander Street was built in 1853 by Alexander Hall of Watergate House, Sussex. Alfred Road, W2 Alfred Road is the last survivor of a set of Victorian streets. All Saints Road, W11 Built between 1852-61, All Saints Road is named after All Saints Church on Talbot Road. Alperton Street, W10 Alperton Street is the first alphabetically named street in the Queen’s Park Estate, W10. Amberley Mews, W9 Amberley Mews starred as Tom Riley’s home in the 1950 movie "The Blue Lamp". Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Banister Road, W10 Banister Road just scrapes being classed as belonging to the Queen's Park Estate. Bathurst Gardens, NW10 Bathurst Gardens, NW10 is an east-west road connecting the junction of All Souls Avenue with College Road. Besant House, NW8 Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history. Blake Close, W10 Blake Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858. Bosworth Road, W10 Bosworth Road was the first street built as Kensal New Town started to expand to the east. Bourne Terrace, W2 Bourne Terrace is part of the Warwick Estate in Paddington and has 38 properties. Bruce Close, W10 Bruce Close replaced the earlier Rackham Street in this part of W10. Brunel Mews, W10 Brunel Mews, a tiny cul-de-sac, is the northern extension of Sixth Avenue. Canal Way, W10 Canal Way was built on the site of the Kensal Gas Works. Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East. College Road, NW10 College Road was named after All Soul’s Collage in Oxford which owned the land that the street was built upon. Dalgarno Way, W10 Dalgarno Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Dart Street, W10 Dart Street runs eastwards from Third Avenue and becomes Marban Road. Dobree Avenue, NW10 Dobree Avenue is a road in Willesden, built on the site of the Grange Brickworks. Droop Street, W10 Droop Street is one of the main east-west streets of the Queen’s Park Estate. Dyne Road, NW6 Dyne Road dates from the just after the opening of Kilburn Station in 1879. East Row, W10 East Row is a road with a long history within Kensal Town. Edenham Way, W10 Edenham Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Eresby Road, NW6 Eresby Road ran from Kingsgate Road to Kilburn High Road with a turning for Kingsgate Place about halfway down. Faraday Road, W10 Faraday Road is one of the ’scientist’ roadnames of North Kensington. Farrant Street, W10 Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen’s Park Estate Gascony Avenue, NW6 Gascony Avenue is an east-west road lying both sides of Kingsgate Road, NW6. Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington. Goldney Road, W9 Goldney Road was built around 1860 on land which was once the property of Westminster Abbey. Great Western Road, W9 Great Western Road’s northernmost section was created after a bridge was constructed over the canal. Hansel Road, NW6 Hansel Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Harrow Road, W9 Harrow Road is a main road running through Paddington, Willesden and beyond. Hewer Street, W10 Built as part of the St Charles’ estate in the 1870s, it originally between Exmoor Street to a former street called Raymede Street. Holtham Road, NW8 Holtham Road disappeared when replaced by the Abbey Road Estate development. Humber Drive, W10 Humber Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Huxley Street, W10 Huxley Street is the only street beginning with an H on the Queen’s Park Estate. Kensal House, W10 Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all. Kensal Road, W10 Kensal Road, originally called Albert Road, is the heart of Kensal Town. Kilburn Lane, NW6 Kilburn Lane is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Kilburn Lane, W10 Kilburn Lane runs around the edge of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10. Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet (the River Westbourne), starting in 1855 Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts. Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road. Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s. Malton Mews, W10 Malton Mews, formerly Oxford Mews, runs south off of Cambridge Gardens. Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Maple Walk, W10 Post war development on the Queen’s Park Estate created some plant-based street names. Middle Row, W10 Middle Row is one of the original streets laid out as Kensal New Town. Mozart Street, W10 Mozart Street was part of the second wave of development of the Queen’s Park Estate. Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road. Nursery Lane, W10 Nursery Lane is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Oakworth Road, W10 Oakworth Road dates from the 1920s when a cottage estate was built by the council. Oliphant Street, W10 Oliphant Street was the final alphabetical street on the original Queen’s Park Estate naming scheme. Orsett Terrace, W2 Orsett Terrace combined with Orsett Place to form one street in Paddington. Peach Road, W10 Paach Road is one of the newer streets of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10 Pember Road, NW10 Pember Road is one of the side streets to the west of Kilburn Lane, NW10 Porchester Square, W2 Begun in 1850 and completed between 1855 and 1858, Porchester Square was one of the last areas of Bayswater to be built. Portobello Road, W10 Portobello Road is split into two sections by the Westway/Hammersmith and City line. Purves Road, NW10 Purves Road is named after the solicitor of the United Land Company who were developers in this area. Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane. Rackham Street, W10 Rackham Street is a road that disappeared from the streetscape of London W10 in 1951. Raymede Street, W10 Raymede Street, after severe bomb damage in the area, disappeared after 1950. Regent Street, NW10 Regent Street, otherwise an obscure side street is one of the oldest roads in Kensal Green. Ronan Walk, W10 Ronan Walk was one of the streets constructed in a 1970s build parallel to the Harrow Road. Rootes Drive, W10 Rootes Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Severn Avenue, W10 Severn Avenue is a newer thoroughfare in the Queen's Park Estate, London W10 Southern Row, W10 Southern Row was originally South Row to match the other streets in the neighbourhood. St Quintin Avenue, W10 St Quintin Avenue connects North Pole Road with the roundabout at the top of St Mark’s Road. Tavistock Crescent, W11 Tavistock Crescent was where the first Notting Hill Carnival procession began on 18 September 1966. Telford Road, W10 Telford Road is one of the local streets named after prominent nineteenth century scientists. The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Thorpe Close, W10 Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway. Trellick Tower, W10 Trellick Tower is a 31-storey block of flats designed in the Brutalist style by architect Ernő Goldfinger, completed in 1972. Walterton Road, W9 Walterton Road was the central road of a suburb which was originally proposed to called St. Peter’s Park. Webb Close, W10 Webb Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Wedlake Street, W10 Wedlake Street arrived as the second wave of building in Kensal Town was completed. Western Dwellings, W10 Western Dwellings were a row of houses, opposite the Western Gas Works, housing some of the workers. Westway, W10 Westway is the A40(M) motorway which runs on an elevated section along the W10/W11 border. Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.
The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
It was built from 1874 by the Artisans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company. The architecture of that estate of some 2000 small houses is distinctively Gothic-revival, with polychrome brickwork, pinnacles and turrets along the bigger roads.
It retains First Avenue
, Second Avenue
etc up to Sixth Avenue
, and originally had streets A-P. The street names have been made into full words, (Alperton Street
, Barfett Street
, Caird Street
, Droop Street
, Embrook Street, Farrant Street
, Galton Street
, Huxley Street
, Ilbert Street
, Kilravock Street
, Lothrop Street
, Marne Street
, Nutbourne Street
, Oliphant Street
, Peach Street).
It was on this estate that the first QPR footballers had their homes.