Farm in/near Elstree, existed between 1500 and the 2010s
Print-friendly version of this page
Nicoll Farm is one of the earliest locations recorded in the Borehamwood area.
Nicoll (Nicholl) Farm was built on land owned by Lord Aldenham. The farmhouse was built c.1500 with a crosswing added a century later. There was an early and mid eighteenth century extension, and 19th and 20th century additions.Licence:
The farm was interesting geologically as it occupied land suitable for growing crops whereas the surrounding area was mostly clay. Later in its life, it had an equestrian speciality.
By 1908, the farm was tenanted out to Joseph Still. Later the tenancy went to Douglas Dalton who was known for both his pigsty and his sausages.
Despite being green belt, a housing development was built on the site in the 2010s.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Nicoll Farm shown at the brow of the hill in Allum Lane (a.k.a. Station Road)
User unknown/public domain
Barham House Barham (Boreham) House was once one of the most prominent properties in Elstree. Hillside Hillside was the childhood home of Sir Richard Burton. Nicoll Farm Nicoll Farm is one of the earliest locations recorded in the Borehamwood area. The Grange The Grange was a large house built for Frank May, chief cashier to the Bank of England from 1873 to 1893.
Allum Lane, WD6 Allum Lane links Borehamwood with Watling Street just north of Elstree village. Blattner Close, WD6 Blattner Close was named after Ludwig (Louis) Blattner, cinema pioneer, when built in the late 1990s.
Elstree is a village in the southermost area of Hertfordshire situated on Watling Street.
Though since boundary changes fully in Hertfordshire, until the 1990s it was half in Hertfordshire and half in Middlesex (now Greater London).
It is most famous for giving its name to the Elstree Film Studios in nearby Borehamwood where a number of famous British films were made.
Elstree has an airfield, with a paved runway, suitable for light aircraft use. The nearest railway station is Elstree & Borehamwood.