Print-friendly version of this page
Allum Hall was a community centre and lately a venue.
Allum Hall was built as Elstree Manor House, probably with 17th century origins.Licence:
The Grade 2 listed building has records of residents living here as early as 1827 when Thomas Jemmitt lived here, over the next 100 years the house stayed as private residence where many different families called the manor house home including army captains.
In the 1940s it was decided a community centre was needed in Elstree and Borehamwood and, after many years of discussions, in July 1953 Allum Hall filled this purpose.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Elstree Manor House
User unknown/public domain
Allum Hall Allum Hall was a community centre and lately a venue. Barham House Barham (Boreham) House was once one of the most prominent properties in Elstree. Elstree and Borehamwood Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes. Hillside Hillside was the childhood home of Sir Richard Burton. The Grange The Grange was a large house built for Frank May, chief cashier to the Bank of England from 1873 to 1893.
Blattner Close, WD6 Blattner Close was named after Ludwig (Louis) Blattner, cinema pioneer, when built in the late 1990s. Shakespeare Drive, WD6 Shakespeare Drive, which was part of the former Furzehill School is part of a development by Persimmon Plc. Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works. Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village. Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.