Admiral’s Walk, NW3
Road in/near Hampstead, existing between the 1700s and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Admiral’s Walk extends from Hampstead Grove
to Lower Terrace
It was a part of Hampstead called The Grove and named officially in 1949. Nearby Hampstead Grove
got its new name in 1937.
It takes its name, as does Admiral’s House, from the 18th-century admiral Matthew Barton, Hampstead resident.
The house was built in about 1700, and Fountain North, a naval officer who bought it in 1791, constructed the quarterdeck on the roof where Admiral Barton has long and wrongly been supposed to have fired salutes on special occasions. He died at Admiral’s House in 1795.
Other residents of the house have included Sir George Gilbert Scott and Sir John Fortescue.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.