The Old Bell
Pub in/near Kilburn, existing between 1600 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
The (Old) Bell is a very old Kilburn Pub.
The Bell already existed by 1600. A chalybeate spring was situated near to the Bell - a chalybeate is one where the water is impregnated with iron. In 1714 the spring was enclosed in a brick reservoir and by 1733 was being exploited by the proprietor of the ’Bell’ as a cure for stomach ailments in imitation of Hampstead Wells.
By 1814 the wells were in decline, although the Bell, now called ’Kilburn Wells
’, remained popular as a tea garden.
The pub was demolished and rebuilt in 1863 but by then dog-fighting and bareknuckle bouts had become common.
The Bell, Kilburn Wells (around 1800)
User unknown/public domain
Bayswater Rivulet The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River Kilburn Bridge Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne. Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road. Kilburn House Kilburn House - a simple suburban villa - was notable in its role as a base for the growing WH Smith newsagent. Kilburn Library Kilburn Library on Kilburn High Road is one of two sites called Kilburn Library, the other being in Salusbury Road, NW6. Kilburn Park Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington. Kilburn Park Farm Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road. Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s. Red Lion The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road. The Elms The Elms - also known as Elm Lodge - stood at the junction of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane. Abbey Road, NW8 Abbey Road, after which the Beatles album was named, runs from St John's Wood to West Hampstead. Abbots Place, NW6 Abbots Place runs from Priory Road to West End Lane and Abbey Road. Besant House, NW8 Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history. Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858. Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East. Emminster, NW8 The Abbey Road Housing Co-op development was built for Hampstead Borough Council in 1965. Holtham Road, NW8 Holtham Road disappeared when replaced by the Abbey Road Estate development. Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Prospect Place, NW6 Prospect Place was a group of houses built fronting Edgware Road south of the junction with West End Lane. Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane. Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.