Print-friendly version of this page
This is a pub or bar which was still existing in 2018.
29 Aldgate High Street 29 Aldgate High Street is a demolished property, originally on the north side of Aldgate High Street.. 46 Aldgate High Street This Grade II Listed office building is one of the few timber-framed buildings in the City that predates the Great Fire of 1666. Aldgate Aldgate was one of the massive gates which defended the City from Roman times until 1760. Aldgate Holy Trinity Priory The Holy Trinity Priory, also known as Christchurch Aldgate, was a priory of Austin canons (Black Canons) founded around 1108 by Queen Matilda of England. Aldgate Pump Aldgate Pump is a historic water pump, located at the junction where Aldgate meets Fenchurch Street and Leadenhall Street. All Hallows Staining All Hallows Staining was a church located at the junction of Mark Lane and Dunster Court. Eastminster Eastminster (The Abbey of St. Mary de Graces) was a Cistercian abbey on Tower Hill and founded by Edward III in 1350. Goodman’s Fields Theatre Two 18th century theatres bearing the name Goodman’s Fields Theatre were located on Alie Street, Whitechapel. Great Synagogue of London The Great Synagogue of London was, for centuries, the centre of Ashkenazi synagogue and Jewish life in London. It was destroyed during World War II, in the Blitz. Holy Trinity, Minories Holy Trinity, Minories was a Church of England parish church outside the eastern boundaries of the City of London, but within the Liberties of the Tower of London. London Metal Exchange The London Metal Exchange (LME) is the futures exchange with the world’s largest market in options and futures contracts on base and other metals. Mark Lane station Mark Lane is a disused Circle and District line Underground station. Portsoken Portsoken is one of 25 wards in the City of London, each electing an alderman to the Court of Aldermen and commoners (the City equivalent of a councillor) elected to the Court of Common Council of the City of London Corporation. St Augustine Papey St Augustine Papey was a mediaeval church in the City of London situated just south of London Wall. St Botolph’s St. Botolph’s without Aldgate, located on Aldgate High Street, has existed for over a thousand years. St Gabriel Fenchurch St Gabriel Fenchurch (or Fen Church) was a parish church in the City of London, destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt. St James Duke’s Place St James Duke’s Place was an Anglican parish church in the Aldgate ward of the City of London. St Katharine Cree St Katharine Cree is a Church of England church on the north side of Leadenhall Street near Leadenhall Market.
St Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a mediaeval church situated just north of Leadenhall Street on a site now occupied by Fitzwilliam House. St Olave Hart Street St Olave’s Church is a Church of England church located on the corner of Hart Street and Seething Lane. St. Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a medieval parish in the City of London whose name survives as that of the street which formerly occupied it. Tower of London The Tower of London is a historic castle located on the north bank of the River Thames and lies within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. 100 Bishopsgate 100 Bishopsgate is a development of two mixed-use buildings on Bishopsgate in London. Aldgate High Street, EC3N Once the route to one of the six original gates of the Wall of London, Aldgate High Street has an important place in medieval London’s history. Aldgate, EC3N Aldgate was the easternmost gateway through the London Wall leading from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End. Alie Street, E1 Originally called Ayliff Street, Alie Street was named after a relative of William Leman, whose great-uncle, John Leman had bought Goodman’s Fields. America Square, EC3N America Square is a street and small square, built in about 1760 and dedicated to the American colonies. Assam Street, E1 Assam Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Beer Lane, EC3R Beer Lane ran from the east end of Great Tower Street to Lower Thames Street. Bevis Marks, EC3A Bevis Marks is a short street in the ward of Aldgate in the City of London. Bishopsgate, EC2N Bishopsgate is named after one of the original eight gates in the London Wall. Bowmans Mews, E1 Bowmans Mews is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Braham Street, E1 Braham Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Buckle Street, E1 Buckle Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Bury Street, EC3A Bury Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Chamber Street, E1 Chamber Street is a thoroughfare running east-west from Leman Street to Mansell Street. Colchester Street, EC3N Before its was renamed and extended in 1923, Colchester Street was a side street near to the Tower of London. Coopers Row, EC3N Coopers Row is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Crescent, EC3N Crescent is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Cresent, EC3N Cresent is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Dock Street, E1 Dock Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Goulston Street, E1 Goulston Street is a thoroughfare running north-south from Wentworth Street to Whitechapel High Street. Gowers Walk, E1 Gowers Walk is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Gravel Lane, E1 Gravel Lane is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Great Tower Street, EC3R Great Tower Street, originally known just as Tower Street, forms an eastern continuation of Eastcheap. Harp Lane, EC3R Harp Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Hart Street, EC3R Hart Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Hooper Street, E1 Hooper Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Houndsditch, EC3A Houndsditch is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Idol Lane, EC3R Idol Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Kent and Essex Yard, E1 Kent and Essex Yard ran north of Whitechapel High Street, close to the west side of Commercial Street. Lime Street, EC3M Lime Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Mark Lane, EC3R Mark Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Minories, EC3N Minories is one of the old streets of the City of London. Mitre Avenue, E17 Mitre Avenue is one of the streets of London in the E17 postal area. Pepys Street, EC3N Pepys Street links Seething Lane in the west to Cooper’s Row in the east. Petty Wales, EC3N Petty Wales is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Plantation Place Plantation Place takes its name from a previous Plantation House, once the recognised centre of the tea trade. Rood Lane, EC3M Rood Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Savage Gardens, EC3N Savage Gardens connects Crutched Friars in the north to Trinity Square in the south, crossing Pepys Street. St James’s Place, EC3A St James Place was an open square, formerly Broad Court, which held a daily market that sold fruits of various kinds. St Mary Axe, EC3A St Mary Axe is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Staple Hall, EC3A Staple Hall is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Stoney Lane, E1 Stoney Lane is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Tower Bridge, E1W Tower Bridge is one of the streets of London in the E1W postal area. Tower Hill, EC3N Tower Hill is a street and square, northwest of the Tower of London. Tower Place, EC3R Tower Place is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Tower Walk, E1W Tower Walk is one of the streets of London in the E1W postal area. Undershaft, EC2N Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC2N postal area. Undershaft, EC3A Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Vine Street, EC3N Vine Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Whitechapel High Street, E1 Whitechapel High Street runs approximately west-east from Aldgate High Street to Whitechapel Road and is designated as part of the A11.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.