Print-friendly version of this page
This is a pub or bar which was still existing in 2018.
29 Aldgate High Street 29 Aldgate High Street is a demolished property, originally on the north side of Aldgate High Street.. 46 Aldgate High Street This Grade II Listed office building is one of the few timber-framed buildings in the City that predates the Great Fire of 1666. Aldgate Aldgate was one of the massive gates which defended the City from Roman times until 1760. Great Synagogue of London The Great Synagogue of London was, for centuries, the centre of Ashkenazi synagogue and Jewish life in London. It was destroyed during World War II, in the Blitz. Portsoken Portsoken is one of 25 wards in the City of London, each electing an alderman to the Court of Aldermen and commoners (the City equivalent of a councillor) elected to the Court of Common Council of the City of London Corporation. St Augustine Papey St Augustine Papey was a mediaeval church in the City of London situated just south of London Wall. St Botolph’s St. Botolph’s without Aldgate, located on Aldgate High Street, has existed for over a thousand years. St James Duke’s Place St James Duke’s Place was an Anglican parish church in the Aldgate ward of the City of London. St Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a mediaeval church situated just north of Leadenhall Street on a site now occupied by Fitzwilliam House. St. Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a medieval parish in the City of London whose name survives as that of the street which formerly occupied it. Tenter Ground Tenter Ground harks back to the seventeenth century when this patch of land was surrounded by weavers’ houses and workshops and used to wash and stretch their fabrics on ’tenters’ to dry. Toynbee Hall Toynbee Hall is a building which is the home of a charity of the same name. 100 Bishopsgate 100 Bishopsgate is a development of two mixed-use buildings on Bishopsgate in London. 99 Bishopsgate, EC2N 99 Bishopsgate is a commercial skyscraper located on Bishopsgate, a major thoroughfare in the City of London financial district. Aldermans Walk, EC2M Alderman’s Walk was formerly Dashwood’s Walk, for Francis Dashwood, who lived here in the 18th century. Aldgate High Street, EC3N Once the route to one of the six original gates of the Wall of London, Aldgate High Street has an important place in medieval London’s history. Arcadia Court, E1 Arcadia Court is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Artillery Lane, E1 The name Artillery Lane remembers the skills of the operators of the longbow. Austin Friars, EC2N Austin Friars was an Augustinian friary from its foundation in the 1260s, until its dissolution in 1538. Bartholomew Lane, EC2N Bartholomew Lane runs between the junction of Lothbury and Throgmorton Street in the north to Threadneedle Street in the south. Bell Lane, E1 Bell Lane is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Bevis Marks, EC3A Bevis Marks is a short street in the ward of Aldgate in the City of London. Bishopsgate, EC2M Bishopsgate was originally the entry point for travellers coming from the north east into London. Bishopsgate, EC2N Bishopsgate is named after one of the original eight gates in the London Wall. Braham Street, E1 Braham Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Brick Lane, E1 Brick Lane runs north from the junction of Osborn Street, Old Montague Street and Wentworth Street, through Spitalfields to Bethnal Green Road. Broadgate, EC2M Broadgate is one of the streets of London in the EC2M postal area. Brune Street, E1 Brune Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Brushfield Street, E1 Brushfield Street is a thoroughfare running east-west from Commercial Street to Bishopsgate. Bury Street, EC3A Bury Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Calvin Street, E1 Calvin Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Capel Court, EC2R On the east side of the Bank of England turn into Bartholomew Lane. Capel Court is off to the east. Cobb Street, E1 Cobb Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. College East, E1 College East is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Commercial Street, E1 Commercial Street is a major thoroughfare running north-south from Shoreditch High Street to Whitechapel High Street. Corbet Place, E1 Corbet Place is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Crispin Place, E1 Crispin Place is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Crown Place, EC2A Crown Place is one of the streets of London in the EC2A postal area. Cutler Street, E1 Cutler Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Dorset Street, E1 Dorset Street was a small thoroughfare running east-west from Crispin Street to Commercial Street. Dray Walk, E1 Dray Walk is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Earl Street, EC2A Earl Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2A postal area. Elder Street, E1 Elder Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Fashion Street, E1 Fashion Street is a thoroughfare running east-west from Brick Lane to Commercial Street. Finsbury Square, EC2A Finsbury Square is a 0.7-hectare square in central London which includes a six-rink grass bowling green. Fournier Street, E1 Fournier Street is a street running east-west from Brick Lane to Commercial Street alongside Christ Church. Frying Pan Alley, E1 Frying Pan Alley is situated close to Middlesex Street and its Petticoat Lane market. George Street, E1 George Street was a street running north-south from Flower and Dean Street to Wentworth Street, crossing Thrawl Street approx. half way along its length.. Goulston Street, E1 Goulston Street is a thoroughfare running north-south from Wentworth Street to Whitechapel High Street. Gravel Lane, E1 Gravel Lane is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Gun Street, E1 Gun Street was part of the Old Artillery Ground - land formerly designated one of the Liberties of the Tower of London. Harrow Place, E1 Harrow Place is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Houndsditch, EC3A Houndsditch is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Kent and Essex Yard, E1 Kent and Essex Yard ran north of Whitechapel High Street, close to the west side of Commercial Street. Lamb Street, E1 Lamb Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Leyden Street, E1 Leyden Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Lolesworth Close, E1 Lolesworth Close is a short cul-de-sac on the east side of Commercial Street which was originally the western extremity of Flower and Dean Street. London Wall, EC2M London Wall is one of the streets of London in the EC2M postal area. Ltd, E1 A street within the E1 postcode Mitre Avenue, E17 Mitre Avenue is one of the streets of London in the E17 postal area. New Street, EC2M New Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2M postal area. Old Castle Street, E1 Old Castle Street runs north-south from Wentworth Street to Whitechapel High Street, the southern section of which incorporates the former Castle Alley, murder site of Ripper victim Alice McKenzie. Puma Court, E1 Puma Court is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Sandys Row, E1 Sandys Row is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. South Place, EC2M South Place is one of the streets of London in the EC2M postal area. Spital Square, E1 Spital Square was started in 1733 - Robert Seymour’s edition of Stow’s Survey of London re marked that "in place of this hospital (St. Mary Spital), ... are now built many handsome houses for merchants and others". St James’s Place, EC3A St James Place was an open square, formerly Broad Court, which held a daily market that sold fruits of various kinds. St Mary Axe, EC3A St Mary Axe is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Staple Hall, EC3A Staple Hall is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Stoney Lane, E1 Stoney Lane is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Strype Street, E1 John Strype, who became an antiquary, historian and parson was the son of a Huguenot weaver and born here in 1643. Sun Street, EC2M Sun Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2M postal area. The Arcade, EC2M The Arcade is one of the streets of London in the EC2M postal area. Thrawl Street, E1 Originally built by Henry Thrall (or Thrale) c.1656, Thrawl Street ran east-west from Brick Lane as far as George Street across a former tenter field owned by the Fossan brothers, Thomas and Lewis. Throgmorton Street, EC3V The name of Throgmorton Street is a corruption of the name of Nicholas Throckmorton, Elizabeth I’s ambassador to France and Scotland.
Undershaft, EC2N Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC2N postal area. Undershaft, EC3A Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Victoria Yard, E1 Victoria Yard is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Wentworth Street, E1 Wentworth Street runs east-west from the junction of Brick Lane, Osborn Street and Old Montague Street to Middlesex Street, forming part of the boundary between Spitalfields and St Mary’s Whitechapel. Whites Row, E1 White’s Row is a narrow thoroughfare running east-west from Commercial Street to Crispin Street. Wilkes Street, E1 Wilkes Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Wormwood Street, EC2N Wormwood Street refers to the wormwood plant which used to grow on the London Wall and in other areas of wasteland in the City.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.