The Angel Public House is grade II listed and dates from the 1830s.
The building potentially includes material from a 17th century building formerly occupying the site. The Angel name has been recorded since that date.
In the 15th century an inn and rest house for travellers called The Salutation was kept at or near this site by monks from Bermondsey Priory. In 1682 The Angel was in a position diagonally opposite its present site, and was referred to by the famous diarist Samuel Pepys as "the famous Angel." The former Redriffe stairs used to be located immediately to its west.
By the 19th century, The Angel marked the commencement of a continuous built-up river frontage running to the east. Gaps in the frontage are evident providing access to the river via stairs.
The Angel (1960)