Adam and Eve Court, W1D

Courtyard in/near Fitzrovia, existing between the 1720s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.230.148.211 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Courtyard · Fitzrovia · W1D ·
JANUARY
7
2019

The court was named for the nearby Adam and Eve tavern.


Medieval mystery and morality plays were acted in inn-yards on holy days, often beginning with the story of Adam and Eve.

Many such inns adopted a signboard with their distinctive costume. An Adam & Eve stood in the fields about 50 yards behind Oxford Street, approached from the road by a little lane which was built up and named Adam & Eve Court in the 1720s.

The Adam and Eve tavern survived until about 1746 when the new competitive environment overtook it and survival became impossible. In the same year, houses began to spring up along the lane, heralding the transformation from rural to urban, and Adam and Eve Court came into life.


Citation information: The alleyways and courtyards of London: A – The Underground Map
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Fitzrovia

Fitzrovia is the area lying to the west of Tottenham Court Road.


Print-friendly version of this page