Appold Street was named after a pump.
Messrs Easton & Anderson made a pump called the Appold pump at their works nearby.
John George Appold (1800-1865) was a fur dyer and engineer. Inheriting his father’s business at the age of 22, he introduced so many scientific improvements that he amassed a fortune and was able to devote his time to mechanical pursuits. He patented few of his ideas, preferring to give them freely to the public.
His Appold centrifugal pump procured him a ’council medal’ at the Great Exhibition in 1851. Appold’s pump with curved blades showed an efficiency of 68%, more than three times better than any of the other pumps present. Sir William Anderson of Easton & Anderson improved and marketed a design of the hydraulic pump in partnership with John Appold.
He is commemorated with a memorial tablet inside St Leonard’s, Shoreditch and buried at West Norwood Cemetery.
Studio portrait photograph of John George Appold. Henry Maull and George Henry Polyblank founded the photographic studio Maull & Polyblank in London in 1854.
Henry Maull, George Polyblank