Print-friendly version of this page
A street within the N11 postcode
Colney Hatch Lane, N11 Colney Hatch Lane, so called from 1846, was called Halliwick street in 1398 and Muswell Hill Lane in 1801. Coppetts Road, N10 By 1754 the modern Coppetts Road ran from Crouch End north towards Colney Hatch. Dudrich Close, N11 Dudrich Close got its name from Dudrich Holdings who developed the site. Friary Close, N12 Friary Close appears for the first time in Kelly’s Directory of Finchley & Friern Barnet in 1930. Friern Barnet Road, N11 Friern Barnet Road was Betstile Lane between 1549 and 1785, Southgate Lane in 1801, High Road in 1879, and Friern Barnet Road from 1889. George Crescent, N10 The Albion Estates Company developed Albion Avenue, George Crescent and Halliwick Road around 1899.
Halliwick Road, N10 The Albion Estates Company developed Albion Avenue, George Crescent and Halliwick Road around 1899.
Hatley Close, N11 Hatley Close appears for the first time in Kelly’s Directory of Finchley & Friern Barnet in 1935. Hill Road, N10 Hill Road is one of the streets of London in the N10 postal area. Hollickwood Avenue, N12 Hollickwood Avenue was to have been called Lancaster Avenue but the Council insisted on Hollickwood Avenue in 1932. Holly Park Road, N11 Holly Park, the district north of Friern Barnet Road, was so called after 1871. Larch Close, N11 Larch Close is one of the streets of London in the N11 postal area. Link Road, N11 Link Road crossed the north-east corner of Bethune recreation ground in 1969. Manor Drive, N20 In 1929, Friern Barnet Council altered the name of the road from Main Drive to Manor Road. Martins Walk, N10 Martins Walk is one of the streets of London in the N10 postal area. St James Avenue, N20 St James Avenue first appears in the 1932 Kelly’s Directory of Finchley although no houses are shown. Steeds Road, N10 Steeds Road is one of the streets of London in the N10 postal area. Summers Row, N12 Summers Row was previously Dunger Place after Henry Dunger, owner of the Flower Pot brewery (1830s-1870s). The Broadway, N11 The Broadway is one of the streets of London in the N11 postal area. The Crescent, N11 The Crescent is one of the streets of London in the N11 postal area. The Ridgeway, N11 The Ridgeway is one of the streets of London in the N11 postal area. Wilton Court, N10 Wilton Court is one of the streets of London in the N10 postal area.
Friern Barnet is located at the intersection of Colney Hatch Lane (running north and south), Woodhouse Road (taking westbound traffic towards North Finchley) and Friern Barnet Road (leading east towards New Southgate).
Friern Barnet was an ancient parish in the Finsbury division of Ossulstone hundred, in the county of Middlesex.
The area was originally considered to be part of Barnet, most of which was in Hertfordshire. By the 13th century the Middlesex section of Barnet was known as Little Barnet, before becoming Frerenbarnet and then Friern Barnet (sometimes spelt in other ways, such as "Fryern Barnett"). The "Friern" part of the parish’s name derives from the French for "brother" and refers to the medieval lordship of the Brotherhood or Knights of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.
The opening of railway stations on the Great Northern and Metropolitan Railways, in the mid-19th century, prompted some development.
But Friern Barnet parish remained largely rural until after the First World War. The building of Colney Hatch asylum in 1851 helped to cut off the area to the south, and the location of railways caused the edges of the parish to be built up first.
In 1883 the most populous and prosperous district was that of All Saints’, Whetstone. Most of the population lived in the Freehold, Avenue, and Holly Park districts, which had grown up around Colney Hatch.
The working-class Freehold, so-called in the late 19th century when the original ownership of the land had been forgotten, lay south of Bounds Green brook and east of Colney Hatch Lane
. The Avenue was a similar area north-east of Colney Hatch, in the angle between Oakleigh Road South and Friern Barnet Road
and separated by the railway from Holly Park, to the west. Relative densities of population were altered by building in the central and northern parts of the parish after 1920. More than ten per cent of the land was still open as late as 1975, most of it in the southern part.
Friern Barnet became part of the London Borough of Barnet in 1965.