Barn Elms Farm

Farm in/near Castelnau, existed between 1540 and 1954

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.47682 -0.23001) 

Barn Elms Farm

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Farm · Castelnau · SW13 ·
September
21
2020

Barn Elms Farm sported majestic elm trees - hence the name.

Barn Elms was recorded in 1540 and was formerly the manor house of Barnes. The land and manor belonged to St.Paul’s Cathedral and in 15th century was the home of Sir John Saye, Chancellor of the Exchequer.

The manor house was later the home of Elizabethan spymaster Sir Frances Walsingham. The house was rebuilt by Thomas Cartwright in 1694. The farm was just to the north of the house.

Barn Elms Farm was variously the residence of William Cobbett (a political writer), Abraham Cowley (a poet) and of Heidegger (Master of the Revels to George II). Jacob Tonson lived in the old house called "Queen Elizabeth’s Dairy". He placed here a gallery for the Kit-Cat Club.

William Cobbett was an innovator of cultivation - experimenting with the growing of maize and the practice of self-supporting husbandry.

He saw himself as a champion of traditional rural society against the transformation due to the Industrial Revolution.

The Lobjoit family, Huguenot refugees, had settled in Kent. In the 1820s, W.J. Lobjoit became head gardener to the Rothchilds family and founded the market gardening firm of W.J. Lobjoit and Son Ltd. In 1840, W.J. Lobjoit bought the first of a series of Barnes farms - Gypsy Lane Farm on Upper Richmond Road. At the beginning of the Crimean War, Bell Farm in Putney (now the site of a church) became the home of his son W.J. Lobjoit junior. In 1856, Putney Park Farm (also known as Dulleys), which adjoined Gypsy Lane Farm, was taken over.

In 1843, the new South-Western Railway was built through Lobjoit’s land. After Lobjoit senior died in 1868, the market garden business was extended by his son to other farms including Barns Elms Farm in 1886.

A series of misfortunes affected the Lobjoit family in 1894 and the Government selected Barns Elms Farm during the Fashoda crisis of 1898 as a site for waterworks to supply London in case of war with France. In 1902 the first balloon meeting of the Aero Club of Great Britain was held here.

The final farmer was Francis Trowell.

Eventually the Barn Elms estate was sold to the Hammersmith Bridge Company. The Ranelagh Club, an upper class social and sporting club with a strong interest in polo, was based at Barn Elms house from 1884 until 1939. From 1946 the grounds were used for sports by the local authority.

Eventually the land, which belonged to the Church Commissioners, was bought by developers and there were plans for housing. The house was badly damaged in a fire and finally demolished in 1954. Meanwhile, the development plans came to nothing.




Main source: Panorama of the Thames project
Further citations and sources



Barn Elms

Barn Elms
Barnes and Mortlake History Society

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Barn Elms Farm Barn Elms Farm sported majestic elm trees - hence the name.

NEARBY STREETS
Binocular & Telescope Sales, SW13 A street within the SW13 postcode
Eternit Walk, SW6 Eternit Walk was named after a late 19th century invention.
Holyport Road, SW6 Holyport Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
Meadowbank Close, SW6 Meadowbank Close is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Millshott Close, SW6 Millshott Close is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Queen Elizabeth Walk, SW13 Queen Elizabeth Walk is one of the streets of London in the SW13 postal area.
Queen Elizabeth Walk, SW15 Queen Elizabeth Walk is a road in the SW15 postcode area
Queen Elizabeth Walk, SW6 Queen Elizabeth Walk is a road in the SW6 postcode area
Rowberry Close, SW6 Rowberry Close is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area.
The Wetland Centre, SW13 The Wetland Centre is one of the streets of London in the SW13 postal area.


Castelnau

Castelnau is an area north of Barnes.

Castelnau is also the name of a street which runs through the middle of the area south from Hammersmith Bridge. It is ultimately derived from C^astelnau-de-la-Garde in France. Major Charles Lestock Boileau, who owned the local land, built Castelnau House after the family estate near Nîmes.

Hammersmith Bridge opened in 1827, making this hitherto difficult-to-reach area quite the opposite.

By 1843, Boileau was beginning to cash in on his holdings by building. 25 years later, the Castelnau area counted some 140 houses.

After Boileau’s death, new streets were laid out.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Gothick Cottage
TUM image id: 1481561785
Postal area W6
TUM image id: 1488542121
St Peter’s Square, W6
TUM image id: 1511370624
New Blue Hall Cinema
TUM image id: 1517664264
Fulham High Street (1895)
TUM image id: 1556826917
Trafalgar Street (1900)
TUM image id: 1563290794
Print-friendly version of this page