(Garden Lower Ground Floor Flat), Richmond, Surrey
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
(Garden Lower Ground Floor Flat), TW1
Print-friendly version of this page
A street within the TW1 postcode
Ailsa Road, TW1 Ailsa Road is connected to the story of St Margaret’s House. Crown Road, TW1 Crown Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. Fairlawns, E4 Fairlawns is one of the streets of London in the E4 postal area. Haggard Road, TW1 Haggard Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. Kilmorey Gardens, TW1 Francis Needham, 2nd Earl of Kilmorey, is buried with his mistress in the Kilmorey Mausoleum, near to this road. Kings Road, TW1 Kings Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. Lebanon Park, TW1 Lebanon Park is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. Orleans Road, TW1 Louis Philippe I, previously Duke of Orleans, later French king, lived in exile at Orleans House near the road. Park Road, TW1 Park Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. Rosslyn Road, TW1 Rosslyn Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. Sidney Road, TW1 Sidney Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. The Avenue, TW1 The Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. The Barons, TW1 The Barons is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district. The Grove, TW1 The Grove is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.