Seymour Street, SE18
An area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar
Print-friendly version of this page
A street within the SE18 postcode
Church of the Annunciation The Church of the Annunciation, Marble Arch, is a Church of England parish church designed by Sir Walter Tapper. It is a Grade II* listed building. Churchill Hotel The Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill is a five star hotel located on Portman Square. Home House Home House is a Georgian town house at 20 Portman Square. Marble Arch Marble Arch is a 19th-century white marble faced triumphal arch. Montagu House Montagu House at 22 Portman Square was a historic London house. Odeon Marble Arch The Odeon Marble Arch (known as the Regal 1928-1945) was a cinema located opposite Marble Arch monument at the top of Park Lane, with its main entrance on Edgware Road. Orchard Court Orchard Court is an apartment block off of Portman Square in London. Known in French as Le Verger, it was used during the Second World War as the London base of F section of the Special Operations Executive (SOE). Somerset House, Park Lane Somerset House was an 18th-century town house on the east side of Park Lane, where it meets Oxford Street, in the Mayfair area of London. It was also known as 40 Park Lane, although a renumbering means that the site is now called 140 Park Lane. St Georges Fields St George’s Fields are a former burial ground of St George’s, Hanover Square, lying between Connaught Street and Bayswater Road. Tyburn Tyburn was a village of Middlesex close to the current location of Marble Arch and the southern end of Edgware Road.
Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street. Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Bakers Mews, W1U Bakers Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Duke Street, W1U Duke Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Green Street, W1K Green Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Jones Street, W1K Jones Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Lees Place, W1K Lees Place is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Marble Arch, W1H Marble Arch is a major road junction in the West End, surrounding the monument of the same name. Montagu Square, W1H Montagu Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815. North Row, W1K North Row is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Oxford Street, W1C Oxford Street is Europe’s busiest shopping street, with around half a million daily visitors, and as of 2012 had approximately 300 shops. Park Street, W1K Park Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Portman Square, W1H Portman Square is a square, part of the Portman Estate, located at the western end of Wigmore Street, which connects it to Cavendish Square to its east. Red Place, W1K Red Place is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Seymour Mews, W1H Seymour Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Woods Mews, W1K Woods Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area.
Marble Arch station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway.
Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch
was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street
, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.
The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.
The station was modernised in 2010 resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.