during the late nineteenth century.
The main agricultural estates of Bethnal Green were Austen, Snow, Nichol, Byde, Fitch, Red Cow, Willett (Wood Close
), Hare Marsh and Tyssen.
Tyssens was a long oblong stretching east from present day Tyssen Street
to Hart Street, fronting Church Street (then called New Cock Lane).
The Tyssen estate contained of only building - Jamaica House - near the top of Brick lane, until Samuel Tyssen leased plots from 1724 onwards.
80 year leases were made to Samuel Vevers and John Rippin, both bricklayers from Spitalfields, and to three carpenters: Samuel Cohell, William Breedon and William Farmer. , all carpenters, the last an inhabitant of Brick Lane
who built on other Bethnal Green estates. A new 30-feet wide street called Tyssen Street
ran northward from Jamaica House to Virginia Row from 1728.
By 1732 it had been crossed by Shacklewell Street
, named after the Tyssens’ seat in Hackney.
The Tyssens granted leases to Samuel Coombes, a Spitalfields carpenter, for Prince’s Street in 1766. Truman’s brewery built storehouses between Tyssen Street
and Shacklewell Street
In 1769 the Tyssens leased 6 acres at the eastern end of the estate. Norwell Place and Thorold Square had been built there by 1794. The remaining 6 acres east of Satchwell Rents
and north of Thorold Square and Bethnal Green Road
, was built up by John Gadenne, a carpenter, who subleased houses in the new streets: New Tyssen Street
, Union Street (or Hope Town), and City Garden Place by 1808, and Hart Street, George Street
, Charlotte Street and Tyrell Street by 1812.
By 1836 there were some 475 houses on the Tyssen estate.