Clarendon Crescent was said to be the longest road in London without a turning.
By 1861 Desborough Lodge
and Westbourne Farm
had been demolished and Clarendon Street, Woodchester Street and Cirencester Street
were build on their lands.
There was a rapid social decline in the streets between the railway and the canal. Subletting to weekly lodgers had made Brindley Street
the most overcrowded in Paddington, with over 3 people to a room. By 1869, when the worst areas were near the canal basin at Paddington Green.
Clarendon Street (later Crescent) had 17 people per house on average. In Clarendon Street "where the more respectable women did laundry work, there were thieves and prostitutes". Subletting had gone so far that a room might have different tenants by day and by night and could only be controlled by declaring buildings to be lodging houses. Such decay was attributed in 1899 to the canal, as elsewhere in London, to isolation arising from a lack of through traffic, and to the density of building.
The road was renamed from Clarendon Street to Clarendon Crescent, probably as part of the 1937 London-wide renaming scheme.
The borough council in 1938 had plans to clear Clarendon Crescent but the war intervened. The worst slums, between the railway and the canal from Warwick Crescent
to Clarendon Crescent, were transformed by the L.C.C. post war.
Under a scheme of 1958, and affecting 6700 residents, half of the land was to be used for 1127 dwellings, of which 946 were to be in new blocks and the others in renovated houses; the rest was to be used for shops, garages, schools and other institutions. A canalside walk and 8 acres of badly needed open space took over the site of Clarendon Crescent.
The Warwick estate, as it came to be called, was opened in 1962. The scheme, together with the alignment of Westway
along part of Harrow Road
, caused the disappearance of nearly all the streets from Delamere Terrace
and Blomfield Villas
westward to Waverley Road
A view along Clarendon Street, Paddington, houses now demolished, looking west with St Mary Magdalene’s Church to left (1964)
English Heritage/John Gay
Abbey Road, NW8 Abbey Road, after which the Beatles album was named, runs from St John's Wood to West Hampstead. Abbots Place, NW6 Abbots Place runs from Priory Road to West End Lane and Abbey Road. Abbotsbury Road, W14 Abbotsbury Road It runs between Melbury Road and the road known as Holland Park. Abercorn Place, NW8 Abercorn Place is on the Harrow School Estate and is named after James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Abercorn, a governor of the school. Aberdare Gardens, NW6 This late Victorian street was probably named in compliment to Henry Bruce, Home Secretary 1868-1873, who was created 1st Baron Aberdare. Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571. Abingdon Road, W8 Abingdon Road stretches between Stratford Road and Kensington High Street. Absalom Road, W10 Absalom Road was the former name for the western section of Golborne Gardens. Acklam Road, W10 Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway. Acol Road, NW6 Acol is not an acronym, but a village in Kent that gave its name to Acol Road, NW6. Adair Road, W10 Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders. Adamson Road, NW3 Adamson Road is named after either a contractor or architect to Eton College. Addison Bridge Place, W14 Addison Bridge Place parallels the railway at the east end of Hammersmith Road and the west end of Kensington High Street. Addison Road, W14 Addison Road stretches from Holland Park Avenue to Kensington High Street. Airlie Gardens, W8 Airlie Gardens is named after the 5th Earl of Airlie (1826-1881), who lived on nearby Campden Hill at Holly Lodge. Albert Court, SW7 Albert Court, a residential block for the "upper classes", was constructed in 1890. Albert Road, NW6 Albert Road in NW6 escaped the mass renaming of Albert Roads in London. Albion Mews, NW6 Albion Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Alexander Street, W2 Alexander Street was built in 1853 by Alexander Hall of Watergate House, Sussex. Alfred Road, W2 Alfred Road is the last survivor of a set of Victorian streets. All Saints Road, W11 Built between 1852-61, All Saints Road is named after All Saints Church on Talbot Road. Alperton Street, W10 Alperton Street is the first alphabetically named street in the Queen’s Park Estate, W10. Amberley Mews, W9 Amberley Mews starred as Tom Riley’s home in the 1950 movie "The Blue Lamp". Ansdell Terrace, W8 Ansdell Terrace is a cul-de-sac off of Ansdell Street and was previously known as St Albans Road North.
Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Argyll Road, W8 Argyll Road was built as part of the development of the Phillimore Estate. Ariel Road, NW6 Ariel Road was formed from the 1885 combination of Ariel Street and Spencer Terrace. Arundel Gardens, W11 Arundel Gardens was built towards the end of the development of the Ladbroke Estate, in the early 1860s. Astwood Mews, SW7 Astwood Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Aubrey Road, W8 Aubrey Road leads into Aubrey Walk, which runs west of Campden Hill Road at the top of Campden Hill. It was named in the 1840s. Aubrey Walk, W8 Aubrey Walk runs west of Campden Hill Road at the top of Campden Hill. Ball Street, W8 Ball Street was created by the Kensington Improvement Scheme of 1868-71, carried out by the Metropolitan Board of Works.
Baynes Mews, NW3 Baynes Mews is a mews within the conservation area of Belsize Park. Bayswater Road, W2 Bayswater Road is the main road running along the northern edge of Hyde Park. Belsize Lane, NW3 Belsize Lane is a thoroughfare linking Rosslyn Hill with Swiss Cottage. Berkeley Gardens, W8 Berkeley Gardens is a short street which runs between Brunswick Gardens and Kensington Church Street containing terraced houses on both sides with small front gardens. Besant House, NW8 Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history. Blenheim Crescent, W11 Blenheim Crescent one of the major thoroughfares in Notting Hill - indeed it features in the eponymous film. Bolney Gate, SW7 Bolney Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858. Bosworth Road, W10 Bosworth Road was the first street built as Kensal New Town started to expand to the east. Bourne Terrace, W2 Bourne Terrace is part of the Warwick Estate in Paddington and has 38 properties. Brunswick Gardens, W8 Brunswick Gardens runs north from Vicarage Gate - a wide tree-lined road with white stuccoed terraces on either side. Bute Street, SW7 Bute Street is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Callcott Street, W8 Callcott Street is a small street between Uxbridge Street and Hillgate Place. Campden Grove, W8 Campden Grove runs between Kensington Church Street and Hornton Street.
Campden Hill Close, W8 Campden Hill Close is a small cul-de-sac entered by a narrow driveway off Hornton Street. Campden Street, W8 Campden Street stretches between Campden Hill Road and Kensington Church Street. Chepstow Place, W2 Chepstow Place runs from the junction of Westbourne Grove and Pembridge Villas in the north to Pembridge Square in the south. Childs Place, SW5 Childs Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Clarendon Road, W11 Clarendon Road is one of the W11’s longest streets, running from Holland Park Avenue in the south to Dulford Street in the north. Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East. Codrington Mews, W11 This attractive L-shaped mews lies off Blenheim Crescent between Kensington Park Road and Ladbroke Grove. Colville Gardens, W11 Colville Gardens was laid out in the 1870s by the builder George Frederick Tippett, who developed much of the rest of the neighbourhood. Cornwall Road, W11 Cornwall Road was once the name for the westernmost part of Westbourne Park Road. Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built. Cromwell Gardens, SW7 Cromwell Gardens is a short but major road in South Kensington. It joins the Cromwell Road at the junction with Exhibition Road to the west with the Brompton Road to the east. Dart Street, W10 Dart Street runs eastwards from Third Avenue and becomes Marban Road. Dennington Park Road, NW6 About 1881 Dennington Park Road was constructed on the line of Sweetbriar Walk, the old path to Lauriston Lodge. Derry Street, W8 Derry Street formerly known as King Street and laid out in the mid-1730s. Droop Street, W10 Droop Street is one of the main east-west streets of the Queen’s Park Estate. Duchess of Bedford’s Walk, W8 Lady Georgiana Russell, wife of John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford lived at Argyll Lodge, a former house on Campden Hill, near the location of the road. Dyne Road, NW6 Dyne Road dates from the just after the opening of Kilburn Station in 1879. East Row, W10 East Row is a road with a long history within Kensal Town. Edenham Way, W10 Edenham Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Elgin Crescent, W11 Elgin Crescent runs from Portobello Road west across Ladbroke Grove and then curls round to the south to join Clarendon Road. Elms Lane, W2 Elms Lane in Bayswater was situated on the west bank of the Westbourne stream. Eresby Road, NW6 Eresby Road ran from Kingsgate Road to Kilburn High Road with a turning for Kingsgate Place about halfway down. Exeter Road, NW6 Exeter Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Fairfax Place, NW6 Fairfax Place has undergone name changes - at first Victoria Mews and then Fairfax Mews. Farrant Street, W10 Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen’s Park Estate Frognal Parade, NW3 Frognal Parade is a parade of shops lying beyond Finchley Road and Frognal station. Frognal, NW3 A road called Frognal runs from Church Row in Hampstead downhill to Finchley Road and follows the course of a stream which goes on to form the River Westbourne. Gascony Avenue, NW6 Gascony Avenue is an east-west road lying both sides of Kingsgate Road, NW6. Gloucester Road, SW7 Gloucester Road is a main street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington. Goldney Road, W9 Goldney Road was built around 1860 on land which was once the property of Westminster Abbey. Great Western Road, W9 Great Western Road’s northernmost section was created after a bridge was constructed over the canal. Grenville Place, SW7 Grenville Place connects Cornwall Gardens and Launceston Place in the north with Cromwell Road in the south. Hansel Road, NW6 Hansel Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Harrow Road, W2 Harrow Road is one of the main arterial roads of London, leading northwest out of the capital. Harrow Road, W9 Harrow Road is a main road running through Paddington, Willesden and beyond. Hilgrove Road, NW6 Hilgrove Road was previously the western section of Adelaide Road, called Adelaide Road North. Hogarth Road, SW5 Hogarth Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Holmdale Road, NW6 Holmdale Road runs from Mill Lane to Dennington Park Road in West Hampstead. Holtham Road, NW8 Holtham Road disappeared when replaced by the Abbey Road Estate development. Horbury Crescent, W11 Horbury Crescent is a short and handsome half-moon shaped street between Ladbroke Road and Kensington Park Road, W11. Ilchester Place, W14 Ilchester Place runs between Abbotsbury Road and Melbury Road, immediately adjacent to the southern boundary of Holland Park itself. Inglewood Road, NW6 Inglewood Road, NW6 was one of the last roads to be built in West End, West Hampstead. Jay Mews, SW7 Jay Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Kensal Road, W10 Kensal Road, originally called Albert Road, is the heart of Kensal Town. Kensington Court Gardens Kensington Court Gardens is a late Victorian mansion block, completed in 1889, near to Kensington Palace and Gardens. Kensington High Street, W8 Kensington High Street is one of western London’s most popular shopping streets, with upmarket shops serving a wealthy area. Kensington Palace Gardens, W8 Kensington Palace Gardens is a street in west central London with some of the most expensive properties in the world. Kenway Road, SW5 Kenway Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kilburn Lane, NW6 Kilburn Lane is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet (the River Westbourne), starting in 1855 Kynance Mews, SW7 Kynance Mews consists of 33 residential properties on a mews road which starts at Gloucester Road and ends in a cul-de-sac. Ladbroke Crescent, W11 Ladbroke Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s. Ladbroke Square, W11 The huge Ladbroke Square communal garden is part communal garden accessed from the backs of the houses lining it and part traditional London Square with roads between the houses and the square. Ladbroke Terrace, W11 Ladbroke Terrace was one of the first streets to be created on the Ladbroke estate. Lansdowne Crescent, W11 Lansdowne Crescent has some of the most interesting and varied houses on the Ladbroke estate, as architects and builders experimented with different styles. Ledbury Road, W11 Ledbury Road is split between W2 and W11, the postal line intersecting the street. Leinster Square, W2 Leinster Square, along with Prince’s Square, was begun in 1856 and finished in 1864 Lithos Road, NW3 Lithos Road is part of the NW3 postal area which lies west of the Finchley Road. Loudoun Road, NW8 Loudoun Road, dating from the 1850s, was originally known as Bridge Road. Maida Vale, W9 Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London. Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Manson Mews, SW7 Manson Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Manson Place, SW7 Manson Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. McCrone Mews, NW3 McCrone Mews is a mews - formerly the location of a depot of the London Parcel Delivery Company. Melton Court, SW7 Melton Court is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Mill Lane, NW2 West of the bridge over the railway, Mill Lane enters the NW2 postcode. Mill Lane, NW6 Mill Lane forms the boundary between Fortune Green and West Hampstead. Mozart Street, W10 Mozart Street was part of the second wave of development of the Queen’s Park Estate. Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road. Nevern Place, SW5 Nevern Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Nevern Road, SW5 Nevern Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Orme Square, W2 Orme Square is named after Edward Orme, formerly a printseller in Bond Street. Orsett Terrace, W2 Orsett Terrace combined with Orsett Place to form one street in Paddington. Ossington Street, W2 Ossington Street leads from Moscow Road at its north end to the Bayswater Road at its south end. Osten Mews, SW7 Osten Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. Palace Court, W2 Palace Court was built in the 1880s to connect the Bayswater Road to Moscow Road. Palace Gate, W8 Palace Gate was previously part of Gloucester Road and developed in the 1860s Pelham Crescent, SW7 Henry Pelham, 3rd Earl of Chichester was a former trustee of the Smith’s Charity Estate, upon which the road was built. Pelham Place, SW7 Pelham Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Phillimore Place, W8 Phillimore Place was part of the old Phillimore Estate and, at first, named Durham Villas. Porchester Square, W2 Begun in 1850 and completed between 1855 and 1858, Porchester Square was one of the last areas of Bayswater to be built. Portland Road, W11 Portland Road is a street in Notting Hill, rich at one end and poor at the other. Portobello Road, W10 Portobello Road is split into two sections by the Westway/Hammersmith and City line. Pottery Lane, W11 Pottery Lane takes its name from the brickfields which were situated at the northern end of the street. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. Princes Gate, SW7 Princes Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Queens Gate, SW7 Queens Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Queensborough Terrace, W2 Queensborough Terrace was built by the grandson of John Aldridge in the 1860s on part of the Aldridge lands. Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane. Reece Mews, SW7 Reece Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Rowley Way, NW8 Rowley Way was named after Llewellyn Rowley, Camden’s Director of Housing. Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Severn Avenue, W10 Severn Avenue is a newer thoroughfare in the Queen's Park Estate, London W10 Spear Mews, SW5 Spear Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Stanhope Gardens, SW7 Stanhope Gardens was built in the 1860s in developments following the Great Exhibition of 1851. Tavistock Crescent, W11 Tavistock Crescent was where the first Notting Hill Carnival procession began on 18 September 1966. The Arcade, SW7 The Arcade is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. The Mansions, NW6 The Mansions is a residential block on the north side of Mill Lane. The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Thorpe Close, W10 Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway. Thurloe Street, SW7 Thurloe Street is named for John Thurloe, said to have been given this land by Oliver Cromwell for services during the Commonwealth. Trellick Tower, W10 Trellick Tower is a 31-storey block of flats designed in the Brutalist style by architect Ernő Goldfinger, completed in 1972. Walterton Road, W9 Walterton Road was the central road of a suburb which was originally proposed to called St. Peter’s Park. Wedlake Street, W10 Wedlake Street arrived as the second wave of building in Kensal Town was completed. Westway, W10 Westway is the A40(M) motorway which runs on an elevated section along the W10/W11 border. Westway, W2 At its opening, Westway was the largest continuous concrete structure in Britain. Wilby Mews, W11 Wilby Mews was named after Benjamin Wilby, who was involved in several 19th century development schemes. Winchester Road, NW3 Winchester Road is named after the first Provost of Eton, William Waynflete Bishop of Winchester. Woodsford Square, W14 Woodsford Square is a 1970s development consisting of a series of interconnecting squares hidden away on the eastern side of Addison Road. Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic. Young Street, W8 Young Street, named after the developer of Kensington Square, was in use as a road by 1685.
The story of the building of a suburb.
Westbourne Green had only a few houses by 1745, mostly south of the point where Harrow Road
had a junction with Westbourne Green Lane (also known as Black Lion Lane) running northward from the Uxbridge Road. A footpath later called Bishop’s Walk (eventually Bishop’s Bridge Road) provided a short cut to Paddington Green
. The Red Lion, where Harrow Road
bridged the Westbourne, and another inn were recorded in 1730. The second inn was probably one called the Jolly Gardeners in 1760 and the Three Jolly Gardeners in 1770, near the Harrow Road
junction, where it probably made way for the Spotted Dog.
The early 19th-century village contained five notable residences: Westbourne Place, west of Black Lion Lane at its junction with Harrow Road
, and, from south to north on the east side of Harrow Road
, Desborough Lodge, Westbourne Farm, Bridge House, and Westbourne Manor House. Bridge House was built c. 1805 by the architect John White, owner of Westbourne Farm.
Westbourne Green had a very refined air in 1795 and was still considered a beautiful rural place in 1820. The Grand Junction canal, passing north of the village between the grounds of Westbourne Farm and Bridge House, was a scenic enhancement, later used to attract expensive building to the area. Although housing was spreading along Black Lion Lane, it had not reached Westbourne Green by 1828, when a house later called Elm Lodge stood north-west of Westbourne Manor House. There was also a short row, later called Belsize Villas, alone to the west on the south side of Harrow Road
at Orme’s Green, by 1830. The main addition was at the southern end of the village, opposite Bishop’s Walk, where Pickering Terrace (later part of Porchester Road
), backed by a double row called Pickering Place, formed a compact block of cottages amid the fields.
The cutting of the G.W.R. line across the middle of Westbourne Green was begun in 1836, necessitating a slight northward realignment of Harrow Road
east of its junction with Black Lion Lane, where a turnpike gate was moved. Since the railway obstructed the Paddington green end of Bishop’s Walk, the footpath was replaced by Bishop’s Road, soon extended westward as Westbourne Grove
. (Although no large houses were demolished, the railway passed close to Westbourne Park, from which Lord Hill moved out. By 1840 several new roads were projected, including Westbourne Grove
. Houses had been built there by 1842, when the Lock hospital, giving its name to the Lock bridge where Harrow Road
crossed the canal, stood opposite Westbourne Manor House to the north. The centre of the area, however, along Harrow Road
and on either side of the railway, remained empty.
Housing spread in the 1840s, mainly south of the railway. The eastern end of Bishop’s Road was built up and at first called Westbourne Place, where the publisher George Smith was visited by Charlotte Bronte in 1848 and 1849. Further north, residential growth was curtailed by the G.W.R. depots and sidings. Immediately to the west, where the Paddington Estate straddled the Westbourne, roads were laid out, with bridges over the railway to link them with Harrow Road
. Holy Trinity church was finished in 1846 and Orsett Terrace
, Gloucester Crescent (later the northernmost part of Gloucester Terrace
), and Porchester Square
had been planned by 1851. No. 37 Gloucester Gardens
, Bishop’s Road, was the London home of the architect Decimus Burton by 1855. Most of the area between Bishop’s Road and the railway had been filled by 1855, except the site of Penny’s House, which was to be taken in 1871 for Royal Oak station.
A builder, William Scantlebury, erected much of the neighbourhood around Orsett Terrace
and Gloucester Crescent, where he took leases in 1849-50 and 1852 respectively. John Scantlebury of Porchester Terrace
North built part of Porchester Square
, where many plots were subleased by George Wyatt between 1853 and 1855.
Farther west building had already begun for William Kinnaird Jenkins, a lawyer who also acquired part of the Ladbroke estate from W. H. Jenkins and was responsible for laying out Kensal New Town. Houses were planned for W. K. Jenkins along both sides of Westbourne Grove
, west of Pickering Place, in 1838 and along an extension of Westbourne Grove
in 1840. They were detached villas, like those to be built for him in Newton Road
in 1846, when he also had plans for Hereford Road
. More land in Hereford Road
was leased out by the Paddington Estate between 1853 and 1855, much of it for terraces by J. P. Waterson, a Bayswater builder, who assigned his interest in several sites to John Wicking Phillips. To the north, Westbourne Park and its grounds made way for large semidetached villas in Westbourne Park Road
and, beside the railway, Westbourne Park Villas
. No. 16 Westbourne Park Villas
from 1863 to 1867 was the intermittent home of Thomas Hardy, who also lived briefly at no. 4 Celbridge Place (later Porchester Road
) and in Newton Road
. Fields survived between Westbourne Park Road
and Newton Road
in 1851 but had been covered with modest terraces by 1855, when St. Stephen’s church was being built.
Between the railway and the canal, the pace of building and the social pattern were more varied. The eastern part, where Delamere Terrace
lined the canal and Warwick Crescent
overlooked the pool, was begun as an extension of Little Venice. Leases for 13 houses in Westbourne Terrace
Road were taken in 1847 by G. L. Taylor, architect of some of the grandest houses in Tyburnia and Maida Vale
, who also built in Blomfield Terrace, along Harrow Road
. Other lessees included William Buddle, for 19 houses in Blomfield Street (later Villas) and Delamere Terrace
in 1851 and 12 in Warwick Crescent
, where plots were assigned to him by G. L. Taylor in 1852. Early residents included Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s sister Arabel Barrett in Delamere Terrace
; in order to be near her Robert Browning moved from lodgings at no. 1 Chichester Road
and made his English home at no. 19 Warwick Crescent
from 1862 until 1887.
Farther west, beyond Ranelagh (from 1938 Lord Hill’s) Road, building was slightly delayed by the survival until after 1855 of Desborough Lodge and Westbourne Farm. Brindley Street
, Alfred Road
, and their neighbours already formed densely packed terraces west of the Lock Bridge and Harrow Road
. By 1861 Desborough Lodge and Westbourne Farm had made way for Clarendon, Woodchester and Cirencester Street
s, whose small houses resembled those around Brindley Street
rather than the stately terraces to the east.
North of the canal, the workhouse was built next to the Lock in 1846-7. Building, although not the imposing crescent planned in 1847, stretched from there along the south side of Harrow Road
to Woodfield Road
at Orme’s Green by 1855.
The 1860s saw housing, which had ended in 1855 at St. Stephen’s Church and Hereford Road
, spread to the Kensington boundary.
North of the canal the site of Westbourne Manor House was built over from 1867 and Amberley Road
with its timber wharves was built along the canal bank. The whole of Westbourne Green thus came to be built up.