St. Albans Place, N1

Road in/near Edgware

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.61792 -0.25765) 

St. Albans Place, N1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Edgware · NW7 ·
July
22
2019

A street within the NW7 postcode




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Apex Corner The A1 (Barnet Bypass) and A41 (Watford Bypass) converge at Apex Corner roundabout.
Apex Corner (1920s) This view of the Apex Corner roundabout shows the original Apex Garage.

NEARBY STREETS
Alders Close, HA8 Alders Close is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Alders Road, HA8 Alders Road is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Apex Parade, NW7 Apex Parade is a shopping parade around the Apex Corner roundabout.
Ash Close, HA8 Ash Close is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Ashbourne Grove, NW7 Ashbourne Grove is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Belgrave Close, NW7 Belgrave Close is a street in Mill Hill.
Berberry Close, HA8 A street within the HA8 postcode
Campion Way, HA8 Campion Way is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Church Close, HA8 Church Close is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Cloister Gardens, HA8 Cloister Gardens is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Concorde House, NW7 Residential block
Downhurst Avenue, NW7 Downhurst Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Foxwood Close, NW7 Foxwood Close is a street in Mill Hill.
Glendor Gardens, NW7 Glendor Gardens is a street in Mill Hill.
Grange Hill, HA8 Grange Hill is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Green Avenue, NW7 Green Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Green Croft, HA8 A street within the HA8 postcode
Greencroft, HA8 Greencroft is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Grenville Place, NW7 Grenville Place is a street in Mill Hill.
Hale Close, HA8 A street within the HA8 postcode
Hale Grove Gardens, NW7 Hale Grove Gardens is a street in Mill Hill.
Hale Lane, NW7 Hale Lane is a street in Mill Hill.
Hawkins Close, NW7 Hawkins Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Highwood Grove, NW7 Highwood Grove is a street in Mill Hill.
Holmwood Grove, NW7 Holmwood Grove is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Laneside, HA8 Laneside is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Larkspur Grove, HA8 A street within the HA8 postcode
Lawrence Court, NW7 Lawrence Court is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Magnolia Gardens, HA8 Magnolia Gardens is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Manor Close, NW7 Manor Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Manor Drive, NW7 Manor Drive is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Maxwelton Avenue, NW7 Maxwelton Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Maxwelton Close, NW7 Maxwelton Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Meridian Close, NW7 Meridian Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Millway, NW7 Millway is a street in Mill Hill.
Northolm, HA8 Northolm is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Northway Circus, NW7 Northway Circus is a street in Mill Hill.
Northway Crescent, NW7 Northway Crescent is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Oakmead Gardens, HA8 Oakmead Gardens is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Orchard Crescent, HA8 Orchard Crescent is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Russell Grove, NW7 Russell Grove is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Scout Way, NW7 Scout Way is a street in Mill Hill.
Sefton Avenue, NW7 Sefton Avenue is a street in Mill Hill.
Selvage Lane, HA8 Selvage Lane is part of an ancient road from Edgware to Totteridge which also includes Deans Lane and Marsh Lane.
Stoneyfields Gardens, HA8 Stoneyfields Gardens is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Stoneyfields Lane, HA8 Stoneyfields Lane is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Sunbury Avenue, NW7 Sunbury Avenue is a street in Mill Hill.
Sunbury Gardens, NW7 Sunbury Gardens is a street in Mill Hill.
Sycamore Close, HA8 A street within the HA8 postcode
Trafalgar House, NW7 Trafalgar House is a commercial block.
Upcroft Avenue, HA8 Upcroft Avenue is a road in the HA8 postcode area
Watford By-pass, NW7 Watford By-pass is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Watford Way, NW7 Watford Way is a street in Mill Hill.
Weymouth Avenue, NW7 Weymouth Avenue is a street in Mill Hill.


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Bald Faced Stag
TUM image id: 1041
RAF Museum
TUM image id: 1094
Apex Corner in the 1920s.
TUM image id: 1155
Hale Lane
TUM image id: 2371
Featherstone Farm (1909)
TUM image id: 1517934317
Print-friendly version of this page