Print-friendly version of this page Island Gardens is an area of the Isle of Dogs opposite Greenwich.
Wharf Road is now part of Ferry Road but had an independent history.
Wharf Road ran parallel to the river and had various wharves along its length: the Port of London Wharf, Millwall Boiler Works and a horse shoe makers on the Millwall side. On the Cubitt Town side there was more industry.
The Millwall Extension Railway opened a station called North Greenwich but the site of the station split Wharf Road into two parts. The railway company ran a subway between the vestigial Wharf Road and the cut-off - and much longer - section which eventually became Saunders Ness Road
Wharf Road dated from the 1850s and its housing dated from the following decade. Three cross streets were built: Barque Street, Ship Street (later Schooner Street) and Brig Street.
Eric Pemberton/Isle of Dogs Life
User unknown/public domain
The 1.12-hectare waterside park at Island Gardnes is notable for its spectacular cross-river view of the classical buildings of the former Greenwich Hospital, the Cutty Sark and the National Maritime Museum, with Greenwich Park
forming a backdrop. The northern entrance of the Greenwich foot tunnel is also within the park. It is almost certain that the view from this location is the one that the Canaletto painting ’Greenwich Hospital from the North Bank of the Thames’ is taken from, though whether Canaletto himself actually visited the site is in doubt. The park was formally opened on 3 Au
gust 1895 by local politician Will Crooks.
The 19th century name for the area was North Greenwich. It was named for the now defunct North Greenwich railway station (1872), that served a former passenger ferry to Greenwich and stood near the later Island Gardens (1897) and Greenwich foot tunnel (1902).
The park gave its name to Island Gardens DLR station. This opened in 1987 as the southern terminus of the DLR’s initial system, and was an elevated terminal station situated to the west of the park. The later construction of the DLR extension to Lewisham involved a tunnel under the Thames, and Island Gardens station was relocated about 100 metres (330 ft) north, close to the northern entrance to the tunnel by Millwall Park. The new station is largely underground; the original elevated station was demolished.