Friary Park is a nine hectare formal Edwardian park.
The site was home to the Knights Hospitaller in the Middle Ages, and of Friern Barnet
Manor House from the sixteenth century. The name Friary Park was adopted in the 1870s and it was opened to the public in 1910. In 2010 the Friends of Friary Park and other local societies organised centenary celebrations.
It is owned and managed by Barnet
Council, and has a children’s playground, tennis courts, a bowling green, a pitch and putt, a skatepark, outdoor gym equipment and a cafe. The cafe is housed in the nineteenth century Gothic Revival Friary House.
A prominent feature is a statue, the ’Bringer of Peace’, dedicated to the memory of King Edward VII, and erected on 7 May 1910, the day after his death.
The North Middlesex Golf Course is adjacent to the park to the north. Blacketts Brook runs through two ponds on the golf course before entering the park. Palmate newts, which are rare in London, breed in the ponds, which are a Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation, Grade II. The reserve is not open to the public.