Tithe Barn Way, UB5
An area maybe laid out between the wars- in this area, buildings are mainly post-war
Print-friendly version of this page
A street within the UB5 postcode
Attlee Road, UB4 Attlee Road was named after former Prime Minister Clement Atlee. Ayles Road, UB4 Walter Ayles was the Labour MP for Southall (1945-1950); then for Hayes and Harlington (1950-1953). Bower Close, UB5 Bower Close is one of the streets of London in the UB5 postal area. Down Way, UB5 Down Way is one of the streets of London in the UB5 postal area. Edward Road, UB5 Edward Road is one of the streets of London in the UB5 postal area. Gurney Road, UB5 Gurney Road is one of the streets of London in the UB5 postal area. Morrison Road, UB4 Herbert Morrison was UK Transport Secretary (1929-1931), Home Secretary (1940-1945) and Deputy Prime Minister (1945-1951). Trevor Close, UB5 Trevor Close is one of the streets of London in the UB5 postal area.
Yeading was one of the final suburbs to develop in westernmost London.
The first land grant including Yeading was made by Offa in 790 to Æthelhard, Archbishop of Canterbury: in the place called on linga Haese [Hayes] and Geddinges [Yeading] around the stream called Fiscesburna (Crane or Yeading Brook).
Anglo-Saxon settlement in Yeading therefore seems probable, but the history of Yeading in subsequent centuries is not as clear as that of Hayes. Such details as the names of many Yeading manor holders remain unknown.
Yeading Dock was one of many docks built along the Grand Union Canal in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The main industry in Hayes and Yeading at this time was brickmaking, and the canal provided a reliable way of transporting larger numbers of bricks. Yeading’s brickworkers could be known to keep pigs as a second source of income. A bourgeois writer, one Elizabeth Hunt, wrote in 1861 that in Yeading dirt, ignorance and darkness reign supreme
. In 1874, however, one James Thorne wrote that the inhabitants of Yeading were always found civil
Yeading was still not developed by the 1920s. Yeading Lane was often flooded, and access beyond Yeading to Northolt seems to have been by footpath only before the First World War. During the War, a properly constructed road was built linking the Great Western Railway station at Hayes with the L.N.E.R. line at Northolt. Yeading was still mainly a rural area.
After the Second World War, a large prefab estate was erected in Yeading. By 1956, Yeading’s Tilbury Square was still without gas and electricity, and oil stoves and open fires were still used; the public house The Willow Tree, reputedly some 400 years old (now demolished), was lit by three cylinders of calor gas. The Yeading Lane estate underwent largescale development in the late 1960s and ’70s.