Waterloo Road is the main road in the Waterloo area straddling the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark.
At the northern end near the river are the Queen Elizabeth Hall
and the Hayward Gallery
to the west, the National Film Theatre
below the road, and the Royal National Theatre
to the east. In earlier times, this was the location of Cuper’s Gardens.
Just to the south in the middle of a large roundabout with underground walkways is the British Film Institute (BFI) London IMAX Cinema. Nearby to the east is the James Clerk Maxwell Building of King’s College London, named in honour of the physicist James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879), who was a professor at the college from 1860.
A little further to the south is St John’s Waterloo church, designed by Francis Octavius Bedford and built in 1824 to celebrate the victory of the Napoleonic Wars. The church was firebombed in 1940 and much of the interior was destroyed. It was restored and reopened in 1951, serving as the parish church for the Festival of Britain on the South Bank
Continuing south, to the west is Waterloo station. To the east is the Union Jack Club
in Sandell Street
and, further on, the well-known and historic Old Vic
Theatre to the south of the corner with The Cut
. Also located even further south in Waterloo Road on the west side is the headquarters of the London Ambulance Service. On the opposite side is 157 Partnership House, former headquarters of USPG, CMS and other church mission/community-based organisations.
Barons Place, SE1 Barons Place is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Baylis Road, SE1 Baylis Road runs between Westminster Bridge Road and Waterloo Road. Bear Lane, SE1 Bear Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Blackfriars Road, SE1 Blackfriars Road runs between St George’s Circus at the southern end and Blackfriars Bridge over the River Thames at the northern end, leading to the City of London. Boundary Row, SE1 Boundary Row is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Brad Street, SE1 Brad Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Burrows Mews, SE1 Burrows Mews is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Coin Street, SE1 Coin Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Cooper Close, SE1 Cooper Close is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Coral Street, SE1 Coral Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Exton Street, SE1 Exton Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Greet Street, SE1 Greet Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Hatfields, SE1 Hatfields is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Hercules Road, SE1 Hercules Road runs north from Lambeth Road near Lambeth Palace, on the site of Penlington Place. Joan Street, SE1 Joan Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Leake Street, SE1 Leake Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Lower Marsh, SE1 Lower Marsh is an 18th century street in the Waterloo neighbourhood. Miller Walk, SE1 Miller Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Peabody Square, SE1 Peabody Square was a traditional Peabody estate constructed in 1871 but subsequently modernised. Pear Place, SE1 Pear Place is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Royal Street, SE1 Royal Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Short Street, SE1 Short Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Silex Street, SE1 Silex Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Surrey Row, SE1 Surrey Row is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Surrey Rowe, SE1 Surrey Rowe is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Sutton Walk, SE1 Sutton Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. The Cut, SE1 The Cut is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. The Foundry, SE1 The Foundry is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Theed Street, SE1 Theed Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. York Road, SE1 York Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
London Waterloo station is a central London railway terminus and London Underground complex. The station is one of 18 in Britain owned and operated by Network Rail and is close to the South Bank of the River Thames.
The London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) opened the station on 11 July 1848 as 'Waterloo Bridge Station' (from the nearby crossing over the Thames) when its main line was extended from Nine Elms. The station, designed by William Tite, was raised above marshy ground on a series of arches. The unfulfilled intention was for a through station with services to the City. In 1886, it officially became Waterloo Station
, reflecting long-standing common usage, even in some L&SWR timetables.
It is located in the Waterloo district of London, which was itself named after the Battle of Waterloo in which Napoleon was defeated near Brussels.
As the station grew, it became increasingly ramshackle. The original 1848 station became known as the 'Central Station' as other platforms were added. The new platform sets were known by nicknames - the two platforms added for suburban services in 1878 were the 'Cyprus Station', whilst the six built in 1885 for use by trains on the Windsor line became the 'Khartoum Station'. Each of these stations-within-a-station had its own booking office, taxi stand and public entrances from the street, as well as often poorly marked and confusing access to the rest of the station. This complexity and confusion became the butt of jokes by writers and music hall comics for many years in the late 19th century, including Jerome K. Jerome in Three Men in a Boat
The present buildings were inaugurated in 1922. Part of the station is a Grade II listed heritage building.
With over 91 million passenger entries and exits between April 2010 and March 2011, Waterloo is easily Britain's busiest railway station in terms of passenger usage. The Waterloo complex is one of the busiest passenger terminals in Europe. It has more platforms and a greater floor area than any other station in the UK (though Clapham Junction, just under 4 miles down the line, has the largest number of trains). It is the terminus of a network of railway lines from Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire, South West England, and the south-western suburbs of London.
Waterloo tube station is, like its namesake, the busiest station on the network and is served by the Bakerloo, Jubilee, Northern and the Waterloo & City lines.
The first underground station at Waterloo was opened on 8 August 1898 by the Waterloo & City Railway (W&CR), a subsidiary of the owners of the main line station, the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR). The W&CR, nicknamed the Drain
, achieved in a limited way the L&SWR's original plan of taking its tracks the short distance north-east into the City of London.
On 10 March 1906, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) was opened. On 13 September 1926, the extension of the Hampstead & Highgate line (as the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line was then known) was opened from Embankment to the existing City & South London Railway station Kennington with a new station at Waterloo.
As a subsidiary of the L&SWR and its successor the Southern Railway, the W&CR was not a part of the London Underground system. Following nationalization of the main line railway companies in 1948, it became part of British Railways (later British Rail). Following a period of closure during 1993 when the line was converted to use the four rail electrical system of the London Underground, the ownership of Waterloo & City line was transferred to the Underground on 1 April 1994.
On 24 September 1999, the Jubilee line station was opened as part of the Jubilee Line Extension. The station was temporarily the western terminus of the extension running from Stratford in east London, before the final section to link the extension to the original line was opened between Waterloo and Green Park on 20 November 1999. The Jubilee platforms are at the opposite end of the site from those of the Bakerloo and Northern lines, but the two ends are connected by a 140-metre moving walkway link (one of only two on the Underground - the other gives access to the Waterloo & City line platform at Bank station).
Waterloo station is linked to the South Bank by an elevated walkway. It was once possible to walk directly by elevated walkways and footbridges all the way from the concourse of Waterloo to that of Charing Cross railway station on the north side of the Thames, but the demolition of part of the Waterloo walkway and the reconstruction of the Hungerford Footbridge means that that is no longer possible.