West Hendon

Suburb, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.57786 -0.2399, 51.577 -0.239) 

West Hendon

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Suburb · West Hendon · ·
December
11
2012

West Hendon - or New Hendon to the older folk. Or The Hyde to those older folk's grandparents.

West Hendon was a settlement within that part of the ancient parish of Hendon known as the Hyde, and is now a part of the London Borough of Barnet.

It was formally known, from 1878–1890, as New Hendon, a small railway development on the Edgware Road. Before the 1830s there were three farms, Upper and Lower Guttershedge (east of the road) and Cockman’s in the Wood (west of the road) and an inn, The Welsh Harp. Between 1835 and 1838, the Brent Reservoir was constructed by damming the Brent and the Silk brooks and flooding much of Cockman’s Farm. The water was used to supply the Grand Union Canal. At its greatest extent, in 1853, it covered 400 acres but was dramatically reduced to 195 acres in the 1890s. Subsequently it has been reduced to 110 acres. It contains enough water to fill 3 million baths and in 1991 was believed to contain 10,000 lb of fish.

The residue of Cockman’s Farm became Woodfield House, home to the Roman Catholic Passioist Fathers (1852 and 1858). The house was demolished in 1940 and the site used by the Borough of Hendon and its successor the London Borough of Barnet as a plant nursery.

Originally The Harp and Horn (c1750s), The Welsh Harp was rebuilt in 1859 and again in 1937, before finally being pulled down in 1970 to make way for the M1. During the 1960s, it was known as The Lakeside Scene and hosted some of the great rock and blues bands of the day, such as the Yardbirds. From 1859 until the end of the century it was run by the Warner brothers, and the reservoir became a centre for all sorts of sporting events such as ice skating, swimming and angling; it was, until 1878, the Kingsbury Race Course and the first mechanical hare in greyhound racing was used there in 1876. By 1850, there was a second public house, the Upper Welsh Harp. At its height in the mid-1880s crowds in excess of 25,000 people could be expected on a Bank Holiday weekend.

Two railway stations were opened, both of the Midland Railway: Hendon (1868), and Welsh Harp (1870). A local builder called Bishop laid the first brick of a new terrace called Neeld Terrace (1881), which heralded the start of New Hendon. Brent Vue was built on land originally owned by the Midland Company. In 1885, the Baptists had a mission hall and their present hall was opened in 1930. By 1886, there were 200 new houses and the Anglican church of St. John’s was built.

In 1896 Schweppes opened a large mineral water factory, and the present Anglican church of St. John’s was established in Algernon Road. With a planned tram line along the West Hendon Broadway due to open in 1904, Welsh Harp station was closed in 1903, and West Hendon became a thriving Edwardian retail district until overshadowed by Golders Green.

During World War II, on 13 February 1941, the Luftwaffe dropped an SC2500 Maximum Heavy Explosive bomb (equivalent to two V2 rockets), killing 80 people and destroying 40 houses in an area west of the Edgware Road. This area was completely redeveloped in the 1960s.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


West Hendon Broadway in the 1950s

West Hendon Broadway in the 1950s

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Silk Stream Silk Stream is just over 4 kilometres long and lies entirely within the current London Borough of Barnet.
St John, Hendon St John is a church built by Temple Moore (1856–1920) was an English architect who was born in Tullamore, Ireland.

THE STREETS OF WEST HENDON
Brent Park Road, NW9 Brent Park Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Brent View Road, NW4 Brent View Road is a terrace overlooking the Midland Main Line in West Hendon.
Brent View Road, NW9 Brent View Road is a location in London.
Cool Oak Lane, NW9 Cool Oak Lane connects West Hendon with Kingsbury.
Damsel Walk, NW9 Damsel Walk is a location in London.
Dehar Crescent, NW9 Dehar Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Dehar Crescent, NW9 Dehar Crescent is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Esmar Crescent, NW9 Esmar Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Garrick Road, NW9 Garrick Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Herbert Road, NW9 Herbert Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Irving Way, NW9 Irving Way is a street in Kingsbury.
M1 motorway, NW4 The southernmost section of the M1 was built in 1977.
Marriotts Close, NW9 Marriotts Close is a post-war development.
Marsh Drive, NW9 Marsh Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Milton Road, NW9 Milton Road was the site of the first church in West Hendon.
Park Road, NW9 Park Road is a street in Hendon.
Park Road, NW9 Park Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Perryfield Way, Perryfield Way lies within the postcode.
Perryfield Way, NW9 Perryfield Way is a location in London.
Pheasant Square, NW9 Pheasant Square is a location in London.
Pollard Road, NW9 Pollard Road was urbanised in the final decades of the nineteenth century.
Priestley Way, NW9 Priestley Way is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Ramsay Road, NW9 Ramsay Road was the northernmost of a series of disappeared streets in West Hendon.
Ramsey Close, NW9 Ramsey Close consists of two storey semi-detached houses built in the 1980s.
Russell Road, NW9 Russell Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Seelig Avenue, NW9 Seelig Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Shearwater Drive, NW9 Shearwater Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Sorrel Mead, NW9 Sorrel Mead is a location in London.
Station Road, NW9 Station Road was formerly called Burroughs Lane and led from the Burroughs to Edgware Road south of Silk Bridge.
Stuart Avenue, NW9 Stuart Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Telford Road, NW9 Telford Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
The Broadway, NW9 The Broadway is a street in Kingsbury.
Tyrrel Way, NW9 Tyrrel Way is a street in Kingsbury.
Verulam Court, NW9 Verulam Court is a street in Kingsbury.
Warner Close, NW9 Warner Close was part of the West Hendon Estate.
West Hendon Broadway, NW9 West Hendon Broadway is part of the Edgware Road.
Woolmead Avenue, NW9 Woolmead Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area




LOCAL PHOTOS
West Hendon from above
TUM image id: 1489498601
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Welsh Harp
Credit: Unknown
TUM image id: 1534456927
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
West Hendon from above
TUM image id: 1489498601
Licence: CC BY 2.0
St. John the Evangelist, an Anglican church located on the end of Algernon Road, next to Vicarage Road.
Credit: Martin Addison
TUM image id: 1534359641
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Old Welsh Harp, Hendon
Credit: Reeves Postcards
TUM image id: 1577706888
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page