Theobald Street, looking north

Image dated 1950

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.654 -0.2798) 

Theobald Street, looking north

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Photo taken in a northerly direction · * · WD6 ·
JUNE
3
2020

This image probably dates from the 1950s.

Immediately to the right of the photo we see ’The Crown’, a pub situated at the Shenley Road/Theoald Street junction until the 2010s - replaced by a supermarket in the same building.

The war memorial was deemed too much of an obstruction to traffic and so was moved to the junction of Shenley Road and Elstree Way later.

The building behind the war memorial is the original building of ’The Crown’, demolished in 2020 despite listed building protection.




Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Theobald Street, looking north

Theobald Street, looking north
User unknown/public domain

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
105 Shenley Road, WD6 105 Shenley Road lies along the main street of Borehamwood.
27A Theobald Street 27a Theobald Street was once Boreham Wood’s first purpose-built school.
66 Shenley Road, WD6 66 Shenley Road used to lie on the corner of Furzehill Road.
68 Shenley Road, WD6 68 Shenley Road was a shop on the corner of Furzehill Road - now disappeared.
Allum Hall Allum Hall was a community centre and lately a venue.
Barham House Barham (Boreham) House was once one of the most prominent properties in Elstree.
Boreham Wood Baptist Church The Baptist Church, situated on the corner of Furzehill Road, opened on 14 July 1911.
Boreham Wood Engine Works The Boreham Wood Engine Works and Loco Packing Company was situated in Drayton Road.
Buses in Shenley Road A 292 and 358 in Shenley Road.
Elstree and Borehamwood Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes.
Elstree Brick & Tile Company Elstree Brick Works ran from 1865 until 1915.
Fox and Clark’ Furniture Shop (1905) Added photo for 73 Shenley Road, WD6
Hillside Hillside was the childhood home of Sir Richard Burton.
Shenley Road (1930s) Shenley Road, Borehamwood in the 1930s
The Grange The Grange was a large house built for Frank May, chief cashier to the Bank of England from 1873 to 1893.
The Myriad Stores Added photo for 49 Shenley Road, WD6
Theobald Street, looking north This image probably dates from the 1950s.

NEARBY STREETS
Almond Way, WD6 Almond Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Barham Avenue, WD6 Barham Avenue was constructed on the site of two historic houses.
Boreham Holt, WD6 Boreham Holt is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Brickfield Cottages, WD6 Brickfield Cottages lie between Theobald Street and the railway.
Brownlow Road, WD6 Brownlow Road was built together with Drayton Road.
Cavendish Crescent, WD6 Cavendish Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cedars Close, WD6 Cedars Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Chatsworth Close, WD6 Chatsworth Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Chaucer Grove, WD6 Chaucer Grove is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Clarendon Road, WD6 Clarendon Road runs north from Shenley Road.
Coleridge Way, WD6 Coleridge Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Deacons Hill Road, WD6 Deacons Hill Road is a road connecting Barnet Lane and Allum Lane.
Drayton Road, WD6 Drayton Road is one of the older streets in Borehamwood.
Dunnock Close, WD6 Dunnock Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Essex Road, WD6 Essex Road was created just prior to the first world war.
Fir Tree Court, WD6 Fir Tree Court is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Furzehill Road, WD6 Furzehill Road runs from Shenley Road to Barnet Lane.
Gables Avenue, WD6 Gables Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Glenhaven Avenue, WD6 Glenhaven Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Goldfinch Way, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Grosvenor Road, WD6 Grosvenor Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hollywood Court, WD6 Hollywood Court was built in 1935.
Holt Close, WD6 Holt Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Keats Close, WD6 Keats Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Keystone Passage, WD6 Keystone Passage commemorates the Keystone factory.
Links Drive, WD6 Links Drive is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Lodge Avenue, WD6 Lodge Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Malden Road, WD6 Malden Road is parallel to Essex Road.
Mildred Avenue, WD6 Mildred Avenue is a curious road, being in two halves.
Nash Close, WD6 Nash Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Orchard Close, WD6 Orchard Close is a cul-de-sac off of Links Drive.
Park Crescent, WD6 Park Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Shakespeare Drive, WD6 Shakespeare Drive, which was part of the former Furzehill School is part of a development by Persimmon Plc.
Shelley Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Shenley Road, WD6 Shenley Road is the main street running through Borehamwood.
Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works.
Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village.
Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Woodside, WD6 Woodside is a road in the WD6 postcode area


Elstree and Borehamwood

Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes.

On 22 June 1863, the Midland Railway (Extension to London) Bill was passed: "The London and Midland Junction Railway Bill is here referred to as providing for a new line of Railway into the metropolis. It commences from the Midland Railway at Hitchin, passes by St. Albans, Elstree, Edgware, Finchley and Highgate, and terminates by a junction with the Metropolitan Underground Railway at King’s Cross, previously throwing out a Branch to the Cattle Market at Copenhagen Fields."

Situated north of the Elstree Tunnels, the station was built by the Midland Railway as simply "Elstree" in 1868 when it built its extension to St Pancras station. By the 1920s, it had been renamed Elstree and Boreham Wood station. It was modernised in 1959. The station was renamed from Elstree & Borehamwood to Elstree on 6 May 1974, but reverted to Elstree & Borehamwood by mid 1988.

The station building has been on three different sites - first in a small lane off of Allum Lane, then atop the Allum Lane railway bridge and finally (and aptly) in Station Road.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Whitehall Studios
TUM image id: 1063
Buses in Shenley Road
TUM image id: 34068
Clarendon Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469027977
Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469289026
35 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469322616
199 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469326652
49 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469360460
71 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469361709
37 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469362142
39 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469362240
73 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469393514
Print-friendly version of this page