Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799.
In 1809, the first of the Eyre Estate’s villas were built here and in similarly derived Beta Road and Omega Place. These early streets were to provide a crucial model for St John’s Wood, setting the tone for subsequent development of the localityLicence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street. Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Montagu Square, W1H Montagu Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. Prince Albert Road, NW1 Originally called Albert Road, it was renamed after the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria in 1938. Wyndham Place, W1H Wyndham Place leads from the northern end of Bryanston Square to the 1821 Church of St Mary’s. York Street, W1H York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
St John’s Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent’s Park.
St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323.
After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park.
Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area was agricultural.
St John’s Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density ’villa’ housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century. Parts of St John’s Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density but it remains one of the most expensive areas of London.
St John’s Wood is the location of Lord’s Cricket Ground and for Abbey Road Studios where The Beatles recorded.
The Rolling Stones referenced St John’s Wood in their song Play With Fire
. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John’s Wood, in the 1960s.
St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979. With the opening of St John’s Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord’s (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John’s Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.
The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road
and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord’s Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.
The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.