North Kensington

Suburb, existing between 1865 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52 -0.211, 51.52 -0.211) 

North Kensington

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Suburb · North Kensington · W10 ·
MARCH
15
2017

North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.

North Kensington was rural until the 19th century, when it was developed as a suburb with quite large homes. By the 1880s, too many houses had been built for the upper-middle class towards whom the area was aimed. Large houses were divided into low cost flats which often degenerated into slums, as documented in the photographs of Roger Mayne.

During the 1980s, the area started to be gentrified although areas in the north west of the district at Ladbroke Grove and Westbourne Park remain deprived and run down to this day.

Waves of immigrants have arrived for at least a century. This constant renewal of the population makes the area one of the most cosmopolitan in London.

The Notting Hill carnival was first staged in 1964 as a way for the local Afro-Caribbean communities to celebrate their own cultures and traditions. After some rough times in the 1970s and 1980s when it became associated with social protest, violence and huge controversy over policing tactics, this is now Europe’s largest carnival/festival event and a major event in the London calendar. It is staged every August over the Bank holiday weekend.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence





NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
22 Maxilla Gardens 22 Maxilla Gardens is a now-demolished property.
24 Maxilla Gardens 24 Maxilla Gardens was an address along Maxilla Gardens.
29 Rackham Street, W10 29 Rackham Street lay about halfway along on the north side of the street.
3 Acklam Road From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family.
6 East Row, W10 6 East Row was a house along East Row which was demolished in 1960 as part of slum clearance in the area.
Acklam Road protests Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Adair Road before redevelopment A photo showing Adair Road’s junction with Golborne Gardens in March 1964.
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed) The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
Albert Hotel The Albert Hotel stood on the corner of All Saints Road and Westbourne Park Road.
All Saints Notting Hill All Saints church was designed by the Victorian Gothic revival pioneer William White, who was also a mountaineer, Swedish gymnastics enthusiast and anti-shaving campaigner.
Barlby Primary School Barlby Road Primary School has long served the children of North Kensington.
Clayton Arms A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.
Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950) The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Duke of Cornwall The Duke of Cornwall pub morphed into the uber-trendy "The Ledbury" restaurant.
Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
Exmoor Street (1950) Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.
Gas Light and Coke Company The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.
Graffiti along Acklam Road (1970s) Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Harrow Road (1920s) Harrow Road in the 1920s, looking south east towards the Prince of Wales pub and the Emmanuel Church spire.
Jack of Newbury The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.
Kensal House There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Kensington Hippodrome The Kensington Hippodrome was a racecourse built in Notting Hill, London, in 1837, by entrepreneur John Whyte.
Kensington Park Hotel The KPH is a landmark pub on Ladbroke Grove.
Ladbroke Grove Ladbroke Grove is named after James Weller Ladbroke, who developed the Ladbroke Estate in the mid nineteenth century, until then a largely rural area on the western edges of London.
Ladbroke Grove Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900) This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.
Ladbroke Grove railway bridge Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950s
Lads of the Village One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.
Middle Row School Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.
North Kensington Library North Kensington Library opened in 1891 and was described as one of London’s finest public libraries.
Notting Hill Barn Farm Notting Barns Farm was one of two farms in the North Kensington area.
Political meeting (1920s) Meeting in front of the Junction Arms situated where Tavistock Road, Crescent and Basing Road met.
Portobello Arms The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.
Portobello Farm Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal.
Portobello Green Portobello Green features a shopping arcade under the Westway along Thorpe Close, an open-air market under the canopy, and community gardens.
Princess Louise Hospital The Princess Louise Hospital for Children was opened by King George V and Queen Mary in 1928. It had 42 beds, an Out-Patients Department and Dispensary for Sick Women.
Queen’s Park Library Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.
Rackham Street, eastern end (1950) The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Rackham Street, western end (1950) A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.
Ridler’s Tyre Yard Ridler's Tyres was situated in a part of Blechynden Street which no longer exists
St Charles Hospital The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.
St Charles Square after bombing (1950) A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World War
St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951) Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.
St Charles’ Square Training College (1908) St Charles’ Square Training College/Carmelite Convent.
St Martins Mission Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street.
St Quintin Park Cricket Ground (1890s) Before the turn of the 20th century, west of present day North Kensington lay fields - the future Barlby Road was the site of the St Quintin Park Cricket Ground.
St. Joseph’s Home St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.
The Apollo The Apollo pub was located at 18 All Saints Road, on the southeast corner of the Lancaster Road junction.
The Brittania The Brittania was situated on the corner of Clarendon Road and Portland Road, W11.
The Eagle The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.
The Flora The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.
The Foresters The Foresters - a lost pub of London W10
The Mitre The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.
The Plough From the sixteenth century onwards, the Plough stood beside the Harrow Road.
The Prince of Wales Cinema The Prince of Wales Cinema was located at 331 Harrow Road.
The Victoria (Narrow Boat) The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it burned down.
Wedlake Street Baths In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go...
Western Arms The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.
Western Iron Works The Western Iron Works was the foundry business of James Bartle and Co.
Weston’s Cider House In 1930 Weston’s opened their first and only cider mill on the Harrow Road.
William Miller’s Yard William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.

THE STREETS OF NORTH KENSINGTON
Admiral Mews, W10 Admiral Mews is a small road off Barlby Road, W10.
Archway Close, W10 Archway Close is a cul-de-sac off of St Mark’s Road, W10.
Athlone Place, W10 Athlone Place runs between Faraday Road and Bonchurch Road.
Balliol Road, W10 Balliol Road leads from Kelfield Gardens to Oxford Gardens.
Barlby Gardens, W10 Barlby Gardens is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Barlby Road, W10 Barlby Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Bassett Road, W10 Bassett Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Bevington Road, W10 Bevington Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Blake Close, W10 Blake Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Bonchurch Road, W10 Bonchurch Road was first laid out in the 1870s.
Bracewell Road, W10 Bracewell Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Bransford Street, W10 Bransford Street became Porlock Street before vanishing altogether.
Branstone Street, W10 Branstone Street, originally Bramston Street, disappeared in 1960s developments.
Brewster Gardens, W10 Brewster Gardens is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Bruce Close, W10 Bruce Close replaced the earlier Rackham Street in this part of W10.
Calderon Place, W10 This is a street in the W10 postcode area
Canal Way, W10 Canal Way was built on the site of the Kensal Gas Works.
Chesterton Road, W10 Chesterton Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Dalgarno Gardens, W10 Dalgarno Gardens is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Dalgarno Way, W10 Dalgarno Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Edenham Way, W10 Edenham Way is a 1970s street.
Elkstone Road, W10 Elkstone Road replaced Southam Street around 1970.
Exmoor Street, W10 Exmoor Street runs from Barlby Road to St Charles Square, W10
Eynham Road, W12 Eynham Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Faraday Road, W10 Faraday Road is one of the ’scientist’ roadnames of North Kensington.
Finstock Road, W10 Finstock Road is a turning out of Oxford Gardens.
Glenroy Street, W12 Glenroy Street is a road in the W12 postcode area
Golborne Mews, W10 Golborne Mews lies off of the Portobello Road, W10.
Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington.
Hewer Street, W10 Built as part of the St Charles’ estate in the 1870s, it originally between Exmoor Street to a former street called Raymede Street.
Highlever Road, W10 Highlever Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Hill Farm Road, W10 Hill Farm Road is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Humber Drive, W10 Humber Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Ivebury Court, W10 Ivebury Court is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Kelfield Gardens, W10 Kelfield Gardens is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Kelfield Mews, W10 Kelfield Mews is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Kensal House, W10 Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all.
Kingsbridge Road, W10 Kingsbridge Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts.
Latimer Place, W10 Latimer Place is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road.
Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s.
Manchester Drive, W10 Manchester Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Matthew Close, W10 Matthew Close is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Maxilla Walk, W10 Maxilla Walk is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Methwold Road, W10 Methwold Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Millwood Street, W10 Millwood Street is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Mitre Way, W10 Mitre Way is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Modena Street, W9 Modena Street was swept away in the late 1960s.
Morgan Road, W10 Morgan Road connects Wornington Road and St Ervans Road.
Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road.
Murchison Road, W10 Murchison Road existed for just under 100 years.
Nascot Street, W12 Nascot Street is a road in the W12 postcode area
Norburn Street, W10 Norburn Street is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
North Pole Road, W10 North Pole Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
North Pole Road, W12 North Pole Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Nursery Lane, W10 Nursery Lane is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Oakworth Road, W10 Oakworth Road dates from the 1920s when a cottage estate was built by the council.
Octavia House, W10 Octavia House on Southern Row was built in the late 1930s.
Orchard Close, W10 Orchard Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Oxford Gardens, W10 Oxford Gardens is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Pangbourne Avenue, W10 Pangbourne Avenue is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Portobello Road, W10 Portobello Road is split into two sections by the Westway/Hammersmith and City line.
Pressland Street, W10 Pressland Street ran from Kensal Road to the canal.
Rackham Street, W10 Rackham Street is a road that disappeared from the streetscape of London W10 in 1951.
Raymede Street, W10 Raymede Street, after severe bomb damage in the area, disappeared after 1950.
Rendle Street, W10 Rendle Street ran from Murchison Road to Telford Road.
Rootes Drive, W10 Rootes Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Salters Road, W10 Salters Road lies on the site of an old playground.
Scrubs Lane, W12 Scrubs Lane is a road in the W12 postcode area
Shrewsbury Street, W10 Shrewsbury Street is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Silchester Street, W10 Silchester Street is a lost street of North Kensington.
Snarsgate Street, W10 Snarsgate Street is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Southern Row, W10 Southern Row was originally South Row to match the other streets in the neighbourhood.
St Charles Place, W10 St Charles Place is a street in North Kensington, London W10
St Charles Square, W10 St Charles Square is a street in North Kensington, London W10
St Columbs House, W10 St Columbs House is situated at 9-39 Blagrove Road.
St Ervans Road, W10 St Ervans Road is named after the home town of the Rev. Samuel Walker.
St Helens Gardens, W10 St Helens Gardens seems to date from the 1860s.
St Joseph’s Close, W10 St Joseph’s Close is a cul-de-sac off of Bevington Road.
St Lawrence Terrace, W10 St Lawrence Terrace is a street in North Kensington, London W10
St Marks Road, W10 St Marks Road lies partly in W10 and partly in W11.
St Mark’s Road, W10 St Mark’s Road extends beyond the Westway into the W10 area.
St Michael’s Gardens, W10 St Michael’s Gardens lies to the south of St Michael’s Church.
St Quintin Avenue, W10 St Quintin Avenue connects North Pole Road with the roundabout at the top of St Mark’s Road.
St Quintin Gardens, W10 St Quintin Gardens is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Sunbeam Crescent, W10 Sunbeam Crescent is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Sutton Way, W10 Sutton Way is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Telford Road, W10 Telford Road is one of the local streets named after prominent nineteenth century scientists.
Thorpe Close, W10 Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway.
Treverton Street, W10 Treverton Street, a street which survived post war redevelopment.
Wallingford Avenue, W10 Wallingford Avenue is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Webb Close, W10 Webb Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Wellington Road, NW10 Wellington Road commemorates the Duke of Wellington.
Westview Close, W10 Westview Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Wheatstone Road, W10 Wheatstone Road was the former name of the eastern section of Bonchurch Road.
Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.




LOCAL PHOTOS
Coronation street party, 1953.
TUM image id: 1545250697
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Children of Ruston Close
TUM image id: 1545251090
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The "Western"
TUM image id: 1489498043
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Ladbroke Grove (1866)
TUM image id: 1513618275
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Clayton Arms
TUM image id: 1453029104
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Foresters
TUM image id: 1453071112
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Lads of the Village pub
TUM image id: 1556874496
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Prince of Wales
TUM image id: 1556874951
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed)
TUM image id: 1556888887
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kensington Park Hotel
TUM image id: 1453375720
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Children of Ruston Close
TUM image id: 1545251090
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The "Western"
TUM image id: 1489498043
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Ladbroke Grove (1866)
TUM image id: 1513618275
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Tile Kiln, Notting Dale (1824)
Credit: Florence Gladstone
TUM image id: 1563720078
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Clayton Arms
TUM image id: 1453029104
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road. The Earl Derby himself was Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby who fought at the battle of Bosworth.
TUM image id: 1453372511
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Foresters
TUM image id: 1453071112
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Lads of the Village pub
TUM image id: 1556874496
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Prince of Wales
TUM image id: 1556874951
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed)
TUM image id: 1556888887
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page