was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now
) in the 1830s.
The name of Fortune Green
is derived from foran-tune
meaning in front of the tun, probably an inn in the area.
Originally Fortune Green
was a patch of manorial waste, now in the north of the ward, where local residents had the right to graze animals, dig turf and play sports. The Green dwindled considerably in the 19th century when the lord of the manor granted enclosure rights for about a third of the area.
Lying on the south-west side of the Finchley Road
, Hampstead town council decided to build its overflow cemetery here in the 1840s.
The arrival of the Midland Railway
in 1871 brought rapid development and many large houses were demolished in favour of higher density buildings. Victorian residential buildings display considerable variety in their design and detail and there are a number of large distinctive red brick mansion blocks, most of which have remained unaltered.
Flats, Fortune Green Road
User unknown/public domain