Hasmonean High School

School in/near Holders Hill, existing between 1947 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.5965 -0.21445) 

Hasmonean High School

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
School · * · NW4 ·
July
12
2018

Hasmonean High School is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status for pupils from Orthodox Jewish families.

The school was founded by the late Rabbi Dr Solomon Schonfeld (1912–1984) as Hasmonean Grammar School. Dr Schonfeld had rescued thousands of Jews from the Holocaust and pioneered Jewish day school education. Dr Schonfeld saw that the area had high numbers of Orthodox Jews but did not have a religious school to cater for them. Jewish law discourages mingling of the sexes when possible, especially when they are unmarried, so two separate schools needed to be set up, one for boys and one for girls.

The boys’ school became a voluntary aided Local Authority School in 1957. In September 1975, the girls moved to the present purpose-built Page Street site in Mill Hill. In 1984, voluntary aided status was extended to the girls’ school, and the two sections joined as one.

The total school capacity is 1494.


Main source: Hasmonean – – Hasmonean.co.uk
Further citations and sources




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Hasmonean High School Hasmonean High School is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status for pupils from Orthodox Jewish families.

NEARBY STREETS
Ashley Close, NW4 Ashley Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Ashley Lane, NW4 Ashley Lane is divided into an official road and a track which is part of a nature reserve.
Barnet By-Pass, NW4 This is a street in the NW4 postcode area
Broughton Avenue, N3 Broughton Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Cedars Close, NW4 Cedars Close is a street in Hendon.
Crooked Usage, N3 Crooked Usage forms a crescent paralleling Hendon Lane.
Cumberland Gardens, NW4 Cumberland Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Edinburgh House, NW4 Residential block
Fairview Court, NW4 Fairview Court is a street in Hendon.
Fernside Court, NW4 Fernside Court is a street in Hendon.
Foreland Court, NW4 Foreland Court is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Foreland Court, NW7 Foreland Court is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Freeland Park, NW4 Freeland Park is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Garrick Drive, NW4 Garrick Drive is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Garrick Park, NW4 Garrick Park is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Great North Way, NW4 Great North Way is a street in Hendon.
Holders Hill Avenue, NW4 Holders Hill Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Holders Hill Crescent, NW4 Holders Hill Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Holders Hill Drive, N3 Holders Hill Drive is a road in the N3 postcode area
Holders Hill Drive, NW4 Holders Hill Drive is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Holders Hill Gardens, NW4 Holders Hill Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Holders Hill Road, NW4 Holders Hill Road already existed by 1321.
Links Green, E4 Links Green is a road in the E4 postcode area
Linksway, NW4 Linksway is a street in Hendon.
Manor Hall Avenue, NW4 Manor Hall Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Manor Hall Drive, NW4 Manor Hall Drive is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Parson Street, NW4 Parson Street was already in existence by 1321.
Rawlins Close, N3 Rawlins Close is a road in the N3 postcode area
Regency Crescent, NW4 Regency Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Ridge Close, NW4 Ridge Close is a street in Hendon.
Robin Lane, NW4 Robin Lane is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Rydal Close, NW4 Rydal Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Sherwood Road, NW4 Sherwood Road is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Tenterden Close, NW4 Tentendon Close is a small cul-de-sac off of Tenterden Grove in Hendon.
Tenterden Close, NW4 Tenterden Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Tenterden Drive, NW4 Tenterden Drive is a street in Hendon.
Timberdene, NW4 Timberdene is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Turnberry Close, NW4 Turnberry Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Turnberry Quay, E14 Turnberry Quay is a road in the E14 postcode area
Village Road, N3 Village Road is the heart of the Finchley Garden Village conservation area.
Waverley Grove, N3 Waverley Grove is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Westchester Drive, NW4 Westchester Drive is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Wickliffe Avenue, N3 Wickliffe Avenue is a road in the N3 postcode area
Woodtree Close, NW4 Woodtree Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
London
TUM image id: 1006
Compass
TUM image id: 1025
Farmhouse
TUM image id: 1040
Woodstock House
TUM image id: 1050
Hendon coat of arms
TUM image id: 1053
Brent Street
TUM image id: 2385
Foster House
TUM image id: 2387
Shire Hall
TUM image id: 3286
Hendon Central Circus (1928)
TUM image id: 1489498245
Print-friendly version of this page