Print-friendly version of this page
St. Martins Place is a location in London.
Harold Hill Harold Hill is an area in the London Borough of Havering and a district centre in the London Plan.
Harold Hill is an area in the London Borough of Havering and a district centre in the London Plan.
The name Harold Hill refers to Harold Godwinson who once held the manor of Havering-atte-Bower. Romford was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1937 and governed by Romford Borough Council, which was the local authority during the construction of the Harold Hill estate.
The housing development of Harold Hill was conceived in the Greater London Plan of 1944 in order to alleviate the housing shortages of Inner London. Before construction of the estate - completed in 1958 - it was the location of Dagnam Park house and grounds.
Most of the land for the estate was purchased in 1947 by the London County Council. The area was within the designated Metropolitan Green Belt, but an exception was made for the development because of the housing need in London following the Second World War.
Construction of 7631 permanent homes, housing 25 000 people, began in 1948 and was complete by 1958.
The development is fairly low density with large sections of parkland retained in the centre and edges of the estate.
The Municipal Borough of Romford was abolished in 1965 and Harold Hill became part of the London Borough of Havering in Greater London.
In the neighbourhood...
Click an image below for a better view...