East Ferry Road
was a main access road for the Isle of Dogs dockland.
It is probably the oldest road on the Isle of Dogs - as Arrow Lane, its main purpose was to provide access to the Greenwich Ferry from Poplar High Street.
There had been such a ferry since at least the 17th century - the first ferry was called Potter’s Ferry and run by watermen. Until 1812, the rerry was foot passengers only but that year a horse ferry was established.