The Underground Map

(51.51924 -0.06724, 51.537 -0.211) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502024 
Use the control in the top right of the map above to view this area on another historic map
The Underground Map is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying within the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post-war megapolis we know today.

The aim of the project is to find the location every street in London, whether past or present. You are able to see each street on a present day map and also spot its location on older maps.

There's a control which looks like a 'pile of paper' at the top right of the map above. You can use it to see how an area has changed on a series of historic maps.



Leadenhall Street, EC3A
Leadenhall Street - historic home to both the East India Company and Lloyd’s of London. Leadenhall Street links Cornhill and Bishopsgate in the west to St. Botolph Street and Aldgate in the east.

It dates from Roman times - the second century ’Leadenhall Street Mosaic’ was discovered during building work on the East India Company premises but taken to the British Museum in 1880.

In 1879 a telephone exchange was installed at No. 101 Leadenhall Street by The Telephone Company (Bells Patents) Ltd. – one of the first in London.

The street was home to East India House from 1729 until demolition in 1861 when replaced by Lloyd’s of London. The London Metal Exchange is also on the street.

The Aldgate Pump is located at the east end of Leadenhall Street.

»read full article



Camomile Street, EC3A
Camomile Street is a short street in the City of London Camomile Street runs west from Bevis Marks, continuing that street to Houndsditch.

The houses on the north side are on the site of the wall of London and a plaque on a house at the north-east corner of the street marks the former site of Bishopsgate.

It is possible that the land immediately within the wall was waste land and covered with the chamomile plant.

On a corner of Camomile Street is the Heron Tower skyscraper.
»read full article



Blessington Road, SE13
Blessington Road dates from the mid-Victorian period. The railway arrived in Lewisham in 1849 and by the 1850s, the first houses were appearing on the new Blessington Road.

Constructed as single middle class family houses complete with accommodation for servants, by the Second World War most houses in the street had been subdivided into flats.

Blessington Road suffered during the Second World War with a deadly bombing taking place on 29 June 1944 destroying houses and lives.

The Mercator Estate is a mixture of a terraces of houses facing onto Belmont Park and another eight houses north of Saxton Close. There are a series of blocks: Chesney House, Ericson House and Clavering House, on Mercator Road and Blessington Road; along with the Rawlinson House tower block.
»read full article



Clarendon Road, W11
Clarendon Road is one of the W11’s longest streets, running from Holland Park Avenue in the south to Dulford Street in the north. The area was largely open country when Clarendon Road was created during the second great wave of development on the Ladbroke estate in the 1840s. The estate was still owned at that time by the Ladbroke family in the person of James Weller Ladbroke. It was a time when the population of London was growing rapidly and developers saw rich profits to be made in providing the expanding population with housing.

James Weller Ladbroke had detailed plans drawn up for the western part of the Ladbroke estate, including Clarendon Road, in 1843 and 1846. Ladbroke did not undertake the development himself; instead he signed agreements or building leases with builders or speculators under which they undertook to build a certain number of houses on the plot of land covered by the agreement. Once the houses were built, Ladbroke would then give either the builder or a person nominated by him (usually the person who had provided finance for the construction) 99-year leases of the houses....



Glengall Grove, E14
Glengall Grove was named after a major landowner in the Isle of Dogs. Margaret Lauretta, Countess of Glengall was the wife of the 2nd Earl of Glengall. She was the daughter of William Mellish and inherited her father’s considerable estate on the Isle of Dogs in 1834. Many places and buildings on the Island made use of the Glengall name.

One of those was Glengall Road. Glengall Road ran from Westferry Road in the west to Manchester Road in the east, crossing the Millwall Docks. It was renamed Glengall Grove shortly before the Second World War. When road access through Millwall Docks was stopped in 1963, the western half of the road was renamed Tiller Road.

Glengall Road/Grove was probably laid out in the 1850s since it appears first on an 1861 map but not on an 1850 one.

Football club Millwall Rovers’ first ever fixture was held on Glengall Road on 3 October 1885.

Other locations taking the Glengall name included:
- The Glengall Arms. A pub formerly located at 367 Westferry Road.<...



Ainger Road, NW3
Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century. The name commemorates Thomas Ainger, vicar of St John’s from 1841 until his death in 1863, who provided clinics, schools and churches to go with the new houses in the area. Until 1882, this was Windsor Road.

George Pownall was the builder/developer responsible for developing the street. In 1868 Pownall proposed to build several new roads. After building in Albert Park and Oppidans Road, Ainger Road was built in 1869. By 1879, Pownall had built 38 houses, three stables and a workshop.
»read full article



Latymer Upper School is an independent selective grammar school which accepts boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 19. Latymer Upper School was founded by Edward Latymer in 1624. It is coeducational with over 1200 pupils.

Edward Latymer, a wealthy lawyer and puritan, left part of his wealth for the clothing and education of “eight poore boyes” from Hammersmith. In 1657, a parochial charity school was set up and was rebuilt in 1755. A new facility was built on what is now King Street in Hammersmith in 1863, and was replaced in 1890 with a new building between King Street and the Thames. This structure persists to the present day as the core of the Upper School. The site also includes Latymer Prep School, which takes pupils aged 7 to 11.

The school became fully private in 1975 after being a direct grant school. The Sixth Form has been co-educational since 1996, and in 2004 the main school started to become co-educational.
»read full article



Lower Marsh Market
Lower Marsh Market is in the Waterloo area of London. Lower Marsh Market and a variety of vintage shops, pubs, bookshops, art galleries, independent coffee spaces and a variety of restaurants featuring food from many ethnic origins.

In 2015, the market was reported as having 77 stalls.

»read full article



Television Centre
Television Centre is a complex in White City that was the headquarters of BBC Television between 1960 and 2013. The first BBC staff moved into the Scenery Block in 1953, and the centre was officially opened on 29 June 1960. Parts of the building are Grade II listed.

It was announced in 2010 that the BBC would cease broadcasting from Television Centre in 2013. Property developers Stanhope plc bought the complex for £200 million.
»read full article



St Luke’s Hospital for Lunatics
St Luke’s Hospital for Lunatics was founded in London in 1751 for the treatment of incurable pauper lunatics by a group of philanthropists. It was London’s second public institution in London created to look after mentally ill people, after the Hospital of St Mary of Bethlem (Bedlam), founded in 1246.

In 1786 the hospital moved to purpose-built premises on Old Street, between Bath St and what is now the Old Street Roundabout. The building had a magnificent frontage of brick, 500 feet long and had a central entrance, with the male wards to the left and female wards to the right.

There wered single cells for 300 patients, each with small windows set high in the wall.

All patients were transferred in 1916, and the buildings were acquired by the Bank of England to become the St Luke’s Printing Works, used for printing bank notess. The building was demolished in 1963.
»read full article



Thames Tunnel
The Thames Tunnel connects Rotherhithe and Wapping and was built between 1825 and 1843. There had been an increasing need for a new connection between the north and south banks of the Thames to link the expanding docks on each side.

In 1818, the Anglo-French engineer Marc Brunel had patented the tunnelling shield, a revolutionary advance in tunnelling technology. Five years later, he produced a plan for a tunnel between Rotherhithe and Wapping, which would be dug using the shield. Financing was found from private investors and the project began in February 1825.

The tunnelling shield was built at Henry Maudslay’s Lambeth works and assembled in the Rotherhithe shaft. Its main innovation was the support for the unlined ground in front and around it to reduce the risk of collapses. Many workers, including Marc Brunel, fell ill from the filthy sewage-laden water seeping through from the river above. The main engineer himsef, John Armstrong, fell ill in April 1826. Marc’s son Isambard Kingdom Brunel took over at the age of 20.



Brunel Museum
The Brunel Museum is a museum at the Brunel Engine House in Rotherhithe. The Engine House itself was designed by Sir Marc Isambard Brunel as part of the infrastructure of the Thames Tunnel. It contained steam-powered pumps used to extract water from the tunnel.

Since 1961 the building has been used as a museum displaying information on the construction of the tunnel as well as other projects by Marc and Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
»read full article



Mercator Road, SE13
Mercator Road was at first called Marlborough Road and was first laid out in the 1850s. Ten deaths occurred in Mercator Road as the result of a Nazi raid on 29 June 1944 which destroyed most of the houses.

After the war, the road was cleared and over 80 prefabs were temporarily built on Mercator Road with some on Blessingham Road. This was a stopgap measure and in 1964, the Borough of Lewisham approved the building of the 14 storey Rawlinson House along with the rest of the Mercator Estate. This was built by the Tersons company, who were part of Balfour Beatty.
»read full article



First Avenue, EN1
First Avenue is an unusual instance of the numbering as opposed to the naming of roads. The area called ’The Avenues’ were built in different years, outside of the sequential order that might be expected.

Fourth Avenue and Fifth Avenue were built first in 1880 with Sixth Avenue begun in 1883. Seventh Avenue dates from 1884

First Avenue and Second Avenue date from the 1890s but Third Avenue did not appear until 1927.

In 1974 Enfield council compulsorily purchased properties north of Main Avenue and demolished Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Avenues to put up a housing estate.

First Avenue appears on the 1896 Ordnance Survey map with houses on the east side only.
»read full article


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Click here to explore another London street
We now have 670 completed street histories and 46830 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS



  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy

w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless otherwise given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.