The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MARKERS OFF  ·  STREETS  ·  BLOG  ·  CONTACT US 
(51.51924 -0.06724, 51.537 -0.211) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502024 
Use the control in the top right of the map above to view this area on another historic map
 
JUNE
21
2024
The Underground Map is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying within the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post-war megapolis we know today.

The aim of the project is to find the location every street in London, whether past or present. You are able to see each street on a present day map and also spot its location on older maps.

There's a control which looks like a 'pile of paper' at the top right of the map above. You can use it to see how an area has changed on a series of historic maps.

JANUARY
10
2024

 

Dunk Street, E1
Dunk Street ran parallel to Great Garden Street (now Greatorex Street) to the west and King Edward Street, which has also ceased to exist, to the east. Dunk Street stretched approximately 200 metres from Old Montague Street to Hanbury Street, situated about 300 metres east of Baker’s Row, which is now the southern section of Vallance Road.

In 1643, Edward Montague, William Montague, and Mawrice Tresham acquired property from William Smith and others in the future Mile End New Town and Spitalfields areas.

This property comprised around forty-two or forty-three acres, which included five enclosed fields, a nursery, and a garden plot. A portion of this land would later become the southern half of Mile End New Town. Edward Montague eventually came into possession of all this land by approximately 1680.

The name Pelham Street was derived from Edward Montague’s wife, Elizabeth Pelham, who held ownership prior to their marriage.

In 1691, Elizabeth Pelham obtained a private Act that allowed her to grant leases for the rebuilding of dilapidated properties on her estates i...
»more


JANUARY
9
2024

 

Yalford Street, E1
Yalford Street was the name for New Street after 1874. By 1773 Richard Brinckley, a builder who had moved to the district from North Audley Street in Mayfair, was working on New Street (later Yalford Street) and the connecting White Hart Court. Carpenters Thomas Dodson and William Petty were involved in the project and fifteen houses were completed and for sale in 1774.

New Street became Yalford Street in 1874 and a short stump of a street survived the post-war rebuilding.
»read full article


JANUARY
8
2024

 

Elsiemaud Road, SE4
Elsiemaud Road was built in the late 1890s on the site of the farmhouse of Joy Farm. Elsiemaud Road was part of a group of roads that are better known today as the ’double name’ roads - Amyruth, Arthurdon, Francemary, Gordonbrock, Henryson Phoebeth and Elsiemaud. The development was part of what was known as the ‘Bridge House Farm Estate’.

The Daily Telegraph & Courier reported on 28 April 1899: ‘Some amusement was caused at a meeting of the Lewisham Board of Works, when the following list of names of new thoroughfares was read by the chairman: Phoebeth, Francemary, Arthurdon, Gordonbrock, Amyruth, Henryson, Elsiemaud, Huxbear and Abbotswell streets. One member described the names as the most ridiculous he had ever heard. Another pointed out that the London County Council objected to two streets of the same name in the Metropolis, and it was difficult to invent new appellations.’

The estate was built in 1899 by the Heath family and were named after the first and second names of the children of the architect and...
»more


JANUARY
7
2024

 

Moorgate
Moorgate was one of the gates in the London Wall but was one of the later gates of London, dating from the early 15th century. Moorgate got its name from the Moorfields, an open area of land located just north of the city. Although Moorgate itself was demolished, the name survives today as a major street and area within the City of London financial district. The street called Moorgate was constructed during the 1840s.

The Moorfields were one of the last pieces of open land in the City of London. The fields were divided into three areas: the Moorfields proper, just inside the City boundaries, north of Bethlem Royal Hospital (also known as Bedlam, Europe’s oldest psychiatric hospital), and Middle and Upper Moorfields (both also open fields) to the north.

The London Dispensary for curing diseases of the Eye and Ear was founded on the Moorfields in 1805, and evolved to become the present Moorfields Eye Hospital, which is now located on City Road and is close to Old Street station.

Moorfields was the site of the first hydrogen balloon flight in England, when Ital...
»more


JANUARY
6
2024

 

Baker Street
Baker Street is one of the original stations of the Metropolitan Railway (MR), the world’s first underground railway, opened in 1863. Baker Street station was opened by the MR on 10 January 1863 (these platforms are now served by the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines). On 13 April 1868, the MR opened the first section of Metropolitan and St John’s Wood Railway as a branch from its existing route. This line, serving the open-air platforms, was steadily extended to Willesden Green and northwards, finally reaching Aylesbury Town and Verney Junction (some 50 miles/80 km from Baker Street) in 1892.

Over the next few decades this section of the station was extensively rebuilt to provide four platforms. The current Metropolitan line layout largely dates from 1925, and the bulk of the surface buildings, designed by architect Charles Clark, also date from this period.

The Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) opened on 10 March 1906; Baker Street was the temporary northern terminus of the line until it was extended to Marylebone station on 27 March 1907.
<...
»more


JANUARY
5
2024

 

Earl’s Court
Earls Court is a district in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Earl’s Court has undergone a remarkable transformation over the centuries. Once a rural area characterised by green fields and market gardens, it was part of the ancient manor of Kensington under the lordship of the Vere family - the Earls of Oxford - for over 500 years. The Vere family were descendants of Aubrey de Vere, who held the manor of Geoffrey de Montbray, bishop of Coutances, as recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. The earls held their manorial court at the site now known as Old Manor Yard, adjacent to the present-day Earl’s Court Underground station.

The construction of the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR) station between 1865 and 1869 marked a turning point in the development of Earl’s Court. On 12 April 1869, the MDR (now the District Line) extended its tracks through Earl’s Court, connecting its station at Gloucester Road to West Brompton, where it established an interchange with the West London Extension Joint Railway. Earl&rs...
»more


JANUARY
4
2024

 

Soho
Soho is a world-famous area of the City of Westminster and part of the West End of London. The name "Soho" first appears in the 17th century. Most authorities believe that the name derives from a former hunting cry. James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth, used "soho" as a rallying call for his men at the Battle of Sedgemoor on 6 July 1685, half a century after the name was first used for this area of London. The Soho name has been imitated by other entertainment and restaurant districts such as Soho, Hong Kong; Soho, Málaga; SOHO, Beijing; SoHo (South of Horton), London, Ontario, Canada; and Palermo Soho, Buenos Aires. SoHo, Manhattan, gets its name from its location SOuth of HOuston Street, but is also a reference to London’s Soho.

Long established as an entertainment district, for much of the 20th century Soho had a reputation as a base for the sex industry in addition to its night life and its location for the headquarters of leading film companies. Since the 1980s, the area has undergone considerable gentrification. It is now predominantly a fashionable...
»more


JANUARY
3
2024

 

New Southgate
New Southgate was formerly split between the hamlet of Betstile and the hamlet of Colney Hatch. Before 1815 most of the houses in what became New Southgate lay in either Hertfordshire or Edmonton. This was apart from Betstile House, which stood on the corner of Friern Barnet Road and Oakleigh Road. By 1846 others stood north of the road, on the site of the former Friern great park. The former Friern Little Park in Oakleigh Road had been divided into plots with cottages. Since the mid 19th century, the small settlement of Betstile has been better known as New Southgate.

New Southgate is now situated across three current-day London Boroughs – Barnet, Enfield, and a northern corner of Haringey. It has become a residential suburb which merges into Bounds Green. The area’s first church, established in 1873, adopted the newer name, New Southgate, over the older hamlet name, Colney Hatch.

This transition in nomenclature reflects a societal shift and the social stigma associated with a significant residential institution, specifically the Colney Ha...
»more


JANUARY
2
2024

 

South Lambeth
South Lambeth lies between Vauxhall and Stockwell. The origins of the name of Lambeth come from its first record in 1062 as Lambehitha, meaning ’landing place for lambs’, and in 1255 as Lambeth.

It was geographically split into two: North Lambeth (which is the Lambeth of today) and South Lambeth is recorded as Sutlamehethe in 1241.

Noel de Caron, Lord of Schoonewale in Flanders, held most of the freehold land in Vauxhall Manor at the beginning of the 17th century. In 1581, he was elected to the States General of the United Provinces, demonstrating his loyalty to the Prince of Orange. Caron played a crucial role in the negotiations between the States General and Queen Elizabeth I in 1585. Over time, he developed a strong affinity for England and spent much of his time living there.

Caron acquired property in South Lambeth through two transactions. In 1602, he purchased a substantial house with a dairy house and around 70 acres from Thomas Hewytt of St Andrew Undershaft. Later, in...
»more


JANUARY
1
2024

 

Arnos Grove
Arnos Grove is an underground station and an area within the London Borough of Enfield. It was originally a medieval estate of the Arnold family in Middlesex. Its natural grove, much larger than today, was for many centuries the largest woodland in the chapelry of Southgate. It became associated with Arnolds (Arnos) Park when its owner was permitted to enclose much of its area from common land to create the former park.

The modern district of Arnos Grove is centred on the western end of Bowes Road. The Arnos Grove estate was centred on the modern Morton Crescent.

Arnos Grove station opened on 19 September 1932 as the terminus on the first section of the Piccadilly line extension from Finsbury Park to Cockfosters. Services were further extended northward on 13 March 1933. The station was designed by architect Charles Holden, is Grade II listed, and has been described as a significant work of modern architecture.
»read full article


..

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 670 completed street histories and 46830 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS

...

PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...



  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy



w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless otherwise given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.