Birkbeck Avenue, W3
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
Birkbeck Avenue is a street in Acton.
Coronation Road, NW10 Coronation Road was built to provide access to the Royal Agricultural Showground which was originally here. Fishers Lane, W4 Fishers Lane stretches from Chiswick High Road, over the railway to South Parade. Hatfield Road, W4 Hatfield Road stands on land that had previously been part of the Cowper-Essex estate, agricultural land also known as the Oldfield lands. Rugby Road, W4 Rugby Road appears unnamed on the Ordnance Survey map of 1894, and was declared a highway in 1903. Southfield Road, W4 Southfield Road was laid out before most of the housing in the neighbourhood was built.
East Acton is an area in west London.
Anciently, East Acton and Acton developed as separate settlements and the nearby districts of North Acton, West Acton and South Acton were developed in the late nineteenth century.
East Acton, largely separated from London by Wormwood Scrubs developed later and was mainly agricultural until after the arrival of the underground railway.
East Acton station opened in 1920 on the Ealing Broadway extension of the Central London Railway (CLR), which was renamed the Central line in 1937.
The new line was built with connections to the West London Line near Shepherd’s Bush, the former GWR main line to Birmingham at North Acton, and the main line to Bristol at Ealing Broadway.
Since the CLR was exclusively a passenger service, two extra dedicated tracks for the GWR’s freight trains were opened in 1938, but were closed in 1964. The trackbed of these rails is now overgrown, with vegetation visible immediately to the north of the station.
East Acton was mentioned frequently in the classic 1950s radio comedy series the Goon Show, as the Goons used to rehearse in a room over a greengrocers in East Acton.