Bridge Approach, NW1
Road in/near Chalk Farm, existing between 1855 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Bridge Approach was once a busy thoroughfare connecting Regents Park Road
with the world.
Regents Park RoadLicence:
was a major east west route from central London to the east was very busy. To the north lay Bridge Street.
In the 1960s, two children were knocked down and killed at the railway bridge. As a result the bridge was closed to traffic and one of the five entry points into Primrose Hill was blocked to cars whilst still allowing pedestrian access. The road was renamed Bridge Approach.
Regents Park Road
was no longer a through route. The massive decrease in traffic flows encouraged restaurants and shops to settle and form a more vibrant Primrose Hill. Although they have many attributes, the presence of busy through routes ultimately prevents the formation of a relaxed village neighbourhood which Primrose Hill has susequently become.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Ainger Road, NW3 Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century. Allcroft Road, NW5 Allcroft Road was built between 1862 and 1870 to links Queen’s Crescent with roads to the south.
Cressy Road, NW3 Cressy Road was named for a famous English victory by its builder Thomas Gibb. Lismore Circus, NW5 Lismore Circus was a former Victorian circus with six streets radiating from it. Meadowbank, NW3 Meadowbank, blocks of flats on a street of the same name, were created as part of the Whitton council estate in 1970/71. Oppidans Mews, NW3 Oppidans Mews was the very road to be laid out in the original development of the area. Prince Albert Road, NW1 Originally called Albert Road, it was renamed after the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria in 1938.
Chalk Farm has nothing to do with chalk at all. Though there once was a farm...
Chalk Farm's name, deceptively rural, derives from the name of the village on its site, Chalcot. These days it absorbs the spread from Camden Town and has many lively pubs, live music venues, and restaurants. Within London it is best known as the site of The Roundhouse, a former circular railway engine shed which was subsequently converted for arts and performance use.
Chalk Farm station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR). Trains originally operated between Golders Green and Charing Cross tube station, with extensions to Edgware and Kennington in 1923 and 1926, respectively.